Fresh water diving in RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Medic0506

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So it's the winter...research time. Anyone know of any good fresh water diving in RI or sorrounding area? OR, even better, does anyone know of any fresh water areas in the RI area that they WANT to check out?

Yes Beach Pond on the RI - CT border is OK and quite clear. Hope your have an ice diving team to go with you though.

Oh no no no. I don't want to go now. I'm just trying to find some cool spots for the spring/summer. Basically dreaming of diving... Can you blame me? haha

Freshwater?!?! In the Ocean State?!?!?!? Why would someone do that?!?!?! :D

I hear ya Medic. Just check the legalities of diving in freshwater in the Ocean State though. RIO has a point.

It is a good point RIO. Basically, I was watching that sweeet new cave dvd teaser that someone posted on scuba board, very attractive female might I add (Liquid Productions - Underwater Photography and Video and the name is becky haha), and this caused me to want to explore our freshwater systems. I'm aware there are no caves but who knows what you might find...

Kidding aside, if you want freshwater diving your best bet relatively near RI is the Brownstone Quarry in Portland CT. It is a little bit of a drive but not too bad and it is better than any freshwater sites in RI that I am aware of. Lots of depth, decent conditions and it is set up for diving. The only downside is that you have to pay an entrance fee.

I've been in a few FS lakes and rivers in these parts, both for SAR and fun and the best was Wallum lake TopoZone - Wallum Lake, USGS Thompson (CT,MA,RI) Topo Map. Decent vis and some interesting structure (huge boulders) at the Zambarono endRhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal | Digital Extra | Zambarano Hospital - 100 years. It's a bit of a swim in shallow water from the canoe launch to get to any depth, but it can be a nice dive. Also did a bit of ice diving there which was OK.

D

Back
Top Bottom