Fresh out of the pool!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GTJonny

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello from Massachusetts! I did a bit of lurking on this board in the "contemplative phase", and just completed my PADI classroom and pool training over the weekend. Now I can hardly wait to jump into the ocean!

A few years back, I told my avid diver friend/mentor that I could never be convinced to go diving. When her life was cut short in a car accident, I realized that by refusing to step out of my comfort zone I was only missing out.

My fiancee and I decided to honeymoon in Belize, and the memories of my friend motivated me to try diving. We figured we'd better get certified first and waste less time out of our vacation. So far it seems fun, we are excited to learn together, and glad to find something to do together or separately (our work schedules don't always coincide).

Of course after the class I wanted to walk right back into the shop and buy a kit. Is it best to resist the urge until I have at least some experience and more information?

For now I'm interested in learning about equipment, and how to know when I'm ready to invest in my own. I have no problem paying a premium at the local shop, but my top priority is getting the right stuff for me. I'm also worried about perfecting buoyancy control...who knew my lungs could hold so much air?!

Looking forward to the adventure!

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on getting started on a life transforming adventure!!

Having your own gear is priceless for building comfort and confidence, however if you have an opportunity to try out different styles of bcd's as well as regs and computers to get a feel for what fits your "style" before making the big ticket purchases it could eliminate some potential buyers remorse.

Welcome to the addiction. The wife and I did a 'Discover Scuba' dive while on vacation. As soon as we returned home we performed the complete SSI Certification process; we have been certified since May 2013. We did Cozumel last November, just returned from Roatan (w/ Scubaboard Invasion Crew) and have booked Cozumel (again) for November 2014. You'll love the experiences!!

In regards to gear, I immediately purchased all my own stuff BEFORE I took a single class. I like the comfort of familiar gear, but that's just me. I also like buying gadgets. The wife has held off on purchasing her own gear (aside from mask, fins and snorkel), however she did when a fairly expensive BCD while on the Roatan trip.

If you decided to purchase your own gear the best advice I can give, being fairly new to diving myself, is take time to ensure properly fitment. It's not rocket science, but a poor fitting BCD can make perfecting your bouyancy difficult. You'll hear all kinds of pro's/con's of purchasing online, but one of the benefits from (I have found with Leisurepro) is you can purchase something and return if it doesn't fit quite right.

Enjoy the addiction - you won't be able to get enough bubble time!!

Welcome, There are a few reason why you would want to buy your own equipment (and from a local dive shop).
1. Comfort - you want to enjoy your dive and if you using "rental" gear you just got then you are going to be spending dive time trying to get use to it and if it does not fit right it could ruin the whole dive
2. Safety - you want to know how to use your gear and feel confident with it every dive. Last thing you want is to have a problem with gear you just got and are learning the ins and outs. You also know how well the gear has been taken care of if it is your gear.
2.5 Having your own gear will encourage you to continue diving because you have invested in the sport.
3. Dive shops only carry a few brands. So if you buy a brand not serviced by a dive shop near your home you will be traveling far away or not getting it serviced regularly, which will void the warranty.
4. Dive Shops stand behind their equipment and when you have a question about the equipment or a problem they will be there to help you out. I know the owner at our shop will do everything he can to ensure you are happy.
5. Yes you can get a good deal online, but if you do not support the local dive shop and they go out of business. Where are you going to do your training and get your air fills for local diving?

Do your research and find equipment that fit your type of diving and needs\wants. And give the dive shop a chance...

I hope this helps!
David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom