fresh insight on Ambergris Caye - the diving and the staying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fr0stin3

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,
I seek the expert advice of people who have visited Ambergris Caye lately or live there (either full or part time) on some things I read about recently. My BF and I have booked a trip to Ambergris Caye for August 2 - August 10, 2008 and are staying at Cocotal Inn.

On the Ambergriscaye.com messaging, someone mentioned rice and flour shortage. Apparently it was serious enough that these travelers brought their own sack of rice. Since we are divers, our equipment will take up most of the weight allowance for air travel. Is there really a shortage on such things? If so, is anything else affected by the recent increase in fuel prices?

Traveling abroad now is so different than previous years so I welcome fresh information, insight, any perspectives. For those that visited, what would you have done differently in packing or preparing? Bug spray was brought up only a few times in the Belize forums. Something like that seems so small yet neglecting it can make for a miserable stay while not underwater, especially during mosquito season! :monkeydan <----is me, itching, itching, itching!

As for diving, I've been checking and tracking prices on dive shops through the ambergriscaye.com website for the past several months. It seems like the escalating fuel prices may force dive operators to increase prices throughout this year. A question to the dive shop owners/operators - how is this affecting your business? Since we are going at low season, will there be less dives available (esp b/c of fuel cost)? What can we do to be informed and prepared divers?

Thanks in advance for everyone's opinions.

I'm getting so amp'd for this trip, I want to do it right!

The rice and flour shortage is old news. We have plenty now in the stores. Gas is up about 15% or so but I'm not sure how the dive shops are reacting as far as price increases.
It's the rainy season now so mosquitos can be pretty heavy at times. Not to mention sand flies. Bring repellent.

You can get everything you need here, including most food items and various bug sprays. Don't be concerned. It is an island and there are occasional short-term shortages simply because everything has sold out and we're waiting for the next barge delivery. But that's not common.

The cost of fuel is increasing steadily. So far no-one has yet increased posted prices - you'll just find discounts harder to negotiate and minimum diver numbers per boat may go up and will be enforced. In due course prices will undoubtedly go up, but no-one want to be the first! Of more immediate concern is that because of the recession either visitor numbers are down or those that do come are going on fewer outings. Operators are finding it harder to reach minimum numbers to run a trip. You can increase your bargaining position by bringing cash or travellers' cheques - credit cards are widely accepted, but are expensive to take.

By the time you come not a lot will have changed, but we are expecting further fuel price increases this year and they will have to be passed on. The "standard" price in SP for two local dives is around US$75 (including sales tax), but on Caye Caulker at least one operator is already charging more than that.

So long as you aren't relying on getting discount prices you should be fine, and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Most dive centers are feeling the squeeze due to the fuel price. for now we are not rising the price of any dives. we will continue to dive the same spots. We had to think outside of the box to see how we can reduce costs.
next week we open another location north at Portofino's resort, this will help us greatly with fuel as we can service most of the norther quests from Portofino's and reduse our back and forth fuel consumption.
As for other shortages most have gone away, the prices of food and durable good have gone up slightly.

I had been wondering how the recession was going to affect dive ops in the Caribbean. I think it can't be good. Too many airfare hikes and flights cut out so it makes getting to many places too expensive for most tourists. Divers may be sticking closer to home or canceling dive trips for awhile. I am very concerned that many little dive ops are going to have to close down in the next year due to lack of business.
It will be good to hear from all of you guys there in Belize on this subject all through the summer/fall/winter season to see how it is affecting you! The uncertainty must be horrible. I really feel for you...:(

robin:D

I'm sure you're right. Those with deep pockets will undoubtedly survive, and perversely will benefit from others' misfortunes.

Another issue that hasn't so far affected Belize and is most unlikely to is the cessation of air services. Already there are some Caribbean islands on which tourism has abruptly stopped, as the airlines have stopped going there. Utterly devastating, for both hoteliers and tour operators.

"On the Ambergriscaye.com messaging, someone mentioned rice and flour shortage. Apparently it was serious enough that these travelers brought their own sack of rice. Since we are divers, our equipment will take up most of the weight allowance for air travel. Is there really a shortage on such things? If so, is anything else affected by the recent increase in fuel prices?"
The rice and flour thing was an import/duty problem but is history now.
Belize is excited and making some adjustments because of recent oil discovery's on its own soil. I don't know how or if it will ever have an effect on local prices of fuel.
Business is good for us and getting better but that might just be because were relatively new and haven't reached our plateau yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom