Fresh fish markets near Kihei, Maui?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blazinator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been planning my trip in May, and would love to avoid the expensive restaraunts to some degree, and grill right at our condo on Keawapaku beach (Hale Hui Kai), so I was kicking around my fish dinner options.

Easiest option, is to see if there are any fish markets near Kihei?

Another option would be to host a spear fisherman, pay for his tank fills or something and go diving with them for some of his catch.

Maybe even rent a Hawaiian sling and try spearing for myself.

Some of the best experiences I've had on the mainland is when I'm unlaunching my boat, and I inevitably meet some fisherman that has too good of a catch and I sometimes trade and barter for a fish or two, since they really can't sell them to you (I even kicked around the idea of bringing some of my opalescent glass jewelry to trade with at the Kihei Boat Ramp, but that's not likely - see Dichrolam “Sea” Textures” for pics (men's bracelets, sculptures, etc.)

You can get some decent fish right at Foodland...only a mile or two north of your place. Safeway carries swordfish sometimes (my favorite!!) I wouldn't count on spearfishing as an option unless you go out real deep and know what you want to take. Shoreline doesn't really produce much in the way of edible fish in my opinion.

I checked out your website a little bit. You have some AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL glasswork!!!! WOW!

Other options are

Eskimo Candy - restricted hours, only open on the weekdays and semi hard to find, they supply many of the local eateries with seafood products but are open to the public

Star Market - I like it better than Foodland or Safeway for fresh fish and its typically cheaper

Another option is to drive over to Maalaea or Lahaina Harbor in the afternoon (2-4pm) and buy right off the fishing boat - frequently $3-$4/pound. Especially good if they have caught a bunch of small Ahi (tuna)

The supermarket, as mentioned above, is your other choice (costco also brings in fish)

Aloha, Tim

Tim beat me to it... easy way to find the boats with the catch is to look for the flags flying. There's different colours for each of the species they may have caught... don't remember what they are at the moment, though.

Eskimo Candy is great... and I'd support Foodland or Star over Safeway... I haven't had good luck with Safeway's price/quality ratio. Costco is good too... but I don't know how much of their fish is 'fresh'.

Eskimo Candy is pretty easy to find. It's about a quarter mile up the side street next to Maui Dive Shops main store in Kihei.

Take the easy way out.....mahi mahi at Spices :D

Take the easy way out.....mahi mahi at Spices :D
He said he wanted to avoid the expensive restaurants... which usually includes the overpriced ones, too.

I haven't heard of people being too happy with Spices lately...

You guys are great! Real good options. I'll look for Eskimo Candy and Foodland, and I never thought of Lahaina or Maalaea harbors, especially at the prime time of 2-4PM.

Now I have to remember to bring some of my personally harvested hickory squares for the grill (might be a no-no to transport "agricultural" products from the mainland). If you aren't regularly grilling with wet hickory, or good smoking wood at all - you are missing out bigtime.

But I did read about your Kiawe (mesquite) trees. Maybe I'll have to look for some downed Kiawe somewhere (an actual use for my dive knife).

Thanks again all!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom