French Polynesia, August 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EricaDVM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, I'm in the planning stages of a trip in August 2018. Most likely I'll be staying at Ninamu in Tikehau. Does anyone have recent experience with either Raie Manta or Tikehau Plongee? I have read to avoid TopDive and Tikehau Plongee is the local affiliate of TopDive, so I'm leaning toward Raie Manta. Appreciate any other input.

Following, as this is newly on my radar as an add on to a Fiji dive trip! Good luck planning!

I'd go with Raie Manta :wink: I have no experience with Tikehau but just posted a huge response to @Skibikeswim in another thread.

I did dive with TopDive purely because no one else on Bora Bora would take a solo diver out which is understandable. The only "nice" thing I have to say is the lady in the office was obviously aware of their bad reputation and why so was super pleasant. Dig through the reviews online and it's pretty obvious why you've heard to steer clear.

But don't miss diving FP and please let us know how Tikehau is - enjoy!

I'd go with Raie Manta :wink: I have no experience with Tikehau but just posted a huge response to @Skibikeswim in another thread.

I did dive with TopDive purely because no one else on Bora Bora would take a solo diver out which is understandable. The only "nice" thing I have to say is the lady in the office was obviously aware of their bad reputation and why so was super pleasant. Dig through the reviews online and it's pretty obvious why you've heard to steer clear.

I'm going in FP in two months and I'm avoiding too TopDive in Rangiroa and Fakarava but more because of their prices. I'm missing something about their "reputation", care to explain a bit more? I'm going to Tikehau as well and my choices are very limited there so I'd like to have an idea if trying my luck with TopDive in the case or skip diving altogether in Tikehau... Thanks in advance.

In the first review the poster mentions equipment issues - bad experience - TOPDIVE Bora Bora, Vaitape Traveller Reviews - TripAdvisor

This review...ahhh their "DM"- even before I had the misfortune of encountering him the lady in the local Marche pulled a face as he walked in - I asked her why and who he was - her response - "The most arrogant man in French Polynesia" Avoid Loïc like the plague! - TOPDIVE Fakarava, Fakarava Traveller Reviews - TripAdvisor

Further down the page you will see more comments about other staff members.

Other issue - Shark fed dives - zero reason to attract sharks in FP anywhere - more than enough.

Unfortunately not just BB but their treatment of divers seems to be part of their culture Fakarava | Kim's Travel Site

Then there's a little $7.8 million lawsuit A Tragedy of Dive Errors: Undercurrent 04/2015

Lemon shark attacks diver in French Polynesia | Shark Year Magazine

That's TopDive for you!

See the blonde lady Robyn at the pier where the cruise shippers disembark for their tours, she will be able to let you know chances of the other guy being available.

Last edited:
In the first review the poster mentions equipment issues - bad experience - TOPDIVE Bora Bora, Vaitape Traveller Reviews - TripAdvisor

This review...ahhh their "DM"- even before I had the misfortune of encountering him the lady in the local Marche pulled a face as he walked in - I asked her why and who he was - her response - "The most arrogant man in French Polynesia" Avoid Loïc like the plague! - TOPDIVE Fakarava, Fakarava Traveller Reviews - TripAdvisor

Further down the page you will see more comments about other staff members.

Other issue - Shark fed dives - zero reason to attract sharks in FP anywhere - more than enough.

Unfortunately not just BB but their treatment of divers seems to be part of their culture Fakarava | Kim's Travel Site

Then there's a little $7.8 million lawsuit A Tragedy of Dive Errors: Undercurrent 04/2015

Lemon shark attacks diver in French Polynesia | Shark Year Magazine

That's TopDive for you!

See the blonde lady Robyn at the pier where the cruise shippers disembark for their tours, she will be able to let you know chances of the other guy being available.

Whoa, thank you very much for the warnings! So I found Tikehau Plongee in that atoll and I'll give them a try. Raie Manta were pretty fast to answer but sadly they don't adher to the Te Moana pass and that is supposed to save me quite a bit of bucks...

Just home from Tikehau. Stephanie and Robert with Raie Manta are great, as is Ralph their boat captain. They dive the pass in Tikehau each day, planning the times based on the incoming and outgoing current. I did three days with them and on the second day a lone bottlenose dolphin came to interact with us. Lots of sharks (black, white, and silver tips), large schools of fish, mantas, etc. Nice people!

Just home from Tikehau. Stephanie and Robert with Raie Manta are great, as is Ralph their boat captain. They dive the pass in Tikehau each day, planning the times based on the incoming and outgoing current. I did three days with them and on the second day a lone bottlenose dolphin came to interact with us. Lots of sharks (black, white, and silver tips), large schools of fish, mantas, etc. Nice people!
Hello,
where did you end up staying?
Thanks

Glad you had a great time, Stephanie and Robert used to be on Rangiroa at raie manta, great to hear they are doing well in Tikehau. they were moving there 2 trips ago I think. I would also never ever go Top Dive. Ever.

Back
Top Bottom