Freeport/Grand Bahama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lobaugh

Reaction score
I am planning an October trip to Freeport and would like some information on dive operators and trips down there. If anyone could offer advice it would be much appreciated.

All of the people on this trip are relatively new divers. What trips should we take and what should we avoid? Who should we dive with and who should we avoid?:confused:

I have experience with two operators, Xanadu (at the Xanadu resort near Freeport) and Caribbean Divers (at the Bell Channel Inn in Lucaya)

Xanadu has a larger operation and offers more possible trips per day; however, they have had some problems with their boats lately. In fact, last November I thought we weren't going to make it back from one trip. The staff is helpful and experienced and they offer nitrox and shark feeding dives (really cool, I did it twice last July, the Travel Channel just featured Xanadu on its Top 10 shark encounters, Xanadu/Freeport ranked #1 because the "hypnotise" the sharks) www.xanadudive.com

Caribbean Divers is a small operation as it is basically the owner and his nephew. They run one boat and up to four dives a day (2 tank morning and 2 tank afternoon) depending on weather and the number of divers that sign up. They do have the advantage of being close to the dive sites as most boat trips are five to ten minutes. While they do not offer shark feeding dive, sharks are present on many sites and they "observe" the UNEXSO shark feeding. They are very reasonable and I really liked diving with them, although they do not offer nitrox. If you haven't already booked a hotel, they offer a deal with the Bell Channel Inn (its not nice, but cheap and convienent) The Caribbean Divers website is www.bellchannelinn.com

When my wife and I visit Freeport, we dive with Grand Bahama Scuba. They have 2 boats, they offer 3 to 4 dives daily. They are newbie freindly, you can take the group tour (follow the leader), or certified divers can do their own thing. There are lots of great sites nearby, and they are the closest to the new wreck!! They also visit Shark Junction. I've seen a lot of sharks close up without anybody feeding them!! and I didn't have to pay big bucks for a "Shark dive".

They are on site at Ocean Reef Yacht Club and Resort. There is a link to the resort website on the GBS website. If you are staying elswhere on the island they will come and get you, and return you after your dives. If you have any questions I can help with send me a PM. or e-mail Fred. There is a link on his website.

PM me for who to avoid. I won't post it here.

I may be there at the end of October/beginning of November.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom