Freeport Dive operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sus9nr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning a trip to freeport at the end of November. I have never been there but have been diving for a few years. However, This will be my boyfriends first salt water dive. I have read a few reviews of dive operators and was wondering which operation would be the best for new divers. Also do you need to reserve in advance? We will be staying at the Ritz Beach resort if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Susan

There are a couple of operators. One popular one is Unexso, but they can't pick you up at your hotel. Grand Bahama Scuba gets good reviews, and I've dove with Xanadu two years in a row and they do pick you up (no additional charge). Ray and Marius are good people and would use them again.

I think any operator would be fine. The reefs are generally less than 60 feet and the better wrecks are around 90-100. Xanadu has always put a DM in the water when I've gone, but I've read that isn't always the case.

I would imagine you could just walk on a boat that time of year. We did the first time we went and it was also in November.

i've been wanting to dive with blackbeard cruises. they leave out of freeport for weekend and weeklong liveaboard trips. looks like great fun to me.

http://www.blackbeardcruises.com/index.html

I have heard good things about blackbeards from other divers but we already have accomodations. Thanks for the information I will check out the webpages.

Susan

Another recomendation for Grand Bahama Scuba!!
Fred and Melinda are Great to dive with, whether your a beginner or a seasoned veteran!!
Arrangements can be made to be picked up at your hotel.
And booking in advance would be a good idea.

There are lots of pics from diving with them on my website, (see link in my sig line)

I'll be there at the end of October :D

UNEXSO is right there within walking distance to the Market and Count Basie Square in Port Lucaya. It is not, however, within walking distance to the airport (like 6 miles). We stayed at the Port Lucaya Resort and Yacht Club when we did Blackbeards in June. If you get a taxi, ask for Queenie...she is the best! I did not personally dive with UNEXSO, but went in their shop....looked nice.

Grand Bahama Scuba -- all you need to know to dive in Freeport. Fred is a top-notch captain and divemaster & if Melinda wasn't so distractingly graceful underwater, she would be a great diving companion.

Dive with them and you will know exactly who to call on your return visit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom