Freeport decision...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boxinchef

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello I'm seriously considering Freeport for my dive vacation. I'm torn between the Ocean Reef Yacht Club and the Bell Channel Hotel. From the reviews I've read it looks like the dive op. at Ocean Reef is the best but looks like the Bell Channel hotel is better. I like the idea of having a kitchen at my disposal which I don't think is available at the Bell Channel. Anyone have some deciding factors or more words of advice (I haven't really fully gone through the threads here at ScubaBoard), or preferences?

Thanks!

My wife and I just returned from there. Freinds and relatives from Rochester and Boston met us there. We all had a fantastic time!!

We stay at Ocean Reef Yacht Club and resort The rooms are very nice, and clean too. Full kitchens with all the stuff you need. They take you to the Grocery store on Saturday night so you can stock up for the week. We had a 2 bedroom suite. There are two pools, a hot tub, and a restaurant on site. They also take you to the beach if you want. The staff there is great!! Very freindly and helpfull.

Port Lucaya is a short bus ride away. The bus cost $1.25 and goes pretty much wherever you want to go. In Port Lucaya you'll find all kinds of shops, bars, and restaurants. Count Bassie square is there also, with live entertainment on Friday and Saturday nights.

We dived with Grand Bahama Scuba. The dive boat is just a short walk from our unit. Gear is stored right by the dock. Fred and Melinda are great to dive with whether you're a beginer or a seasoned pro!! Nice boat, plenty of room, excellent variety of dive sites, reefs, wrecks, and sharks. We were there for 2 weeks. Can't wait 'til our next trip!!

You will not be disapointed!!

I just got back from staying at the ORYC this past week as well. I really liked being so close to the dive shop. Fred and Melinda are very nice people and helped my group a lot. I would expect to spend a lot of time in Port Lucaya for non-dive activities and eating out. We rented scooters for the week and drove all over the island.

DO NOT eat at their on-site restaurant, though. We had dinner there our first night and it was the absolute worst experience we ever had dining out. The dinners came out before the appetizers, the steak was so tough it could have been leather, and everything was cold. Later in the week someone from my group tried to buy a quick breakfast and after waiting 45 minutes for their eggs to come out they gave up and left.

[

DO NOT eat at their on-site restaurant, though. We had dinner there our first night and it was the absolute worst experience we ever had dining out. The dinners came out before the appetizers, the steak was so tough it could have been leather, and everything was cold. Later in the week someone from my group tried to buy a quick breakfast and after waiting 45 minutes for their eggs to come out they gave up and left.[/QUOTE]

Don'T go to the Bahamas for fine food-or fast!they are south of the tension line!and import every thing darn near!

Chicken and rice a local staple is done right,breakfast a good idea is a kitchen as you can get it done fast and the way you like it and it saves money.

Bell Chanel Inn is a older place on the canal in Lucaya the dive opp seems fine and your walking distance to Port Lucaya-but no kitchens
have a great trip.
Brad

Back
Top Bottom