Freedom plate: my new favorite travel rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HenrikBP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is my new favorite travel rig: an aluminum Freedom plate with a 30 lbs Oxycheq Mach V wing.

The plate is laced with standard (stiff) backplate webbing in standard HOG fashion. The slots in the plate for the waist straps are big enough that I can pull on the waist straps to tighten up the shoulder straps. To get the shoulder strap length the same every time, I threaded 2 plastic keepers on the shoulder straps, so that the keepers "bottom out" on the plate when the waist straps are pulled and shoulder straps tightened.

The whole rig disassembles and packs very small. I carried the plate with wing and harness in a medium size backpack as carry-on. I would guess the weight to about 5-6 lbs: 2 lbs for the tank and another 3-4 lbs for the wing, webbing and hardware. It's just a guess though.

The plate fits me rock solid during the dives - upside - down and sideways - no problem. The "organic" shape of the plate is super comfortable too. I dove it with a 3 mill wetsuit, but tried it with just a skin and was just fine.

The tank mounts solidly on the plate, I'm sure partly due to the "tank capturing" bend at the bottom edge of the plate. I found it easier to mount the single tank and also found the tank to be even more solid on the plate than with my standard SS backplate.

Granted - with the lighter plate I needed to add a bit of extra weight to the pockets on the cam bands. I ended up with 2 x 4 lbs on the top cam band, which left me a pound or two heavy, but perfectly trimmed/balanced with my (heavy-ish) Hollis F1 fins.

I can highly recommend the Freedom plate. Thanks Eric.

Henrik
(no affiliation - just a happy customer)

I had the SS freedom plate, did not know there was an an aluminum Freedom plate. it was nice and seemed great but was too big for me to travel with. Went with the Zeagle express tech.

Yeah, I've seen the little travel plates. I have a hard time seeing though, how they can provide as stable a platform for the tank as a plate made from a stiffer/inflexible material. I've tried enough BC solutions with tanks flopping around that it's one of the things I won't compromise on.

Of course, having never tried any of those travel plates I could just be talking out my ... you know what :)

Henrik

OK, pis_ me off:mooner::D. I just spent $ on a different rig. I bounced back and forth on the freedom plate vs Oxycheq SS travel plate. Please don't tell me it is better:D
For my travel attire I ended up with the Oxycheq SS travel plate, 18lb wing (works with 100steels for me), deluxe harness (yeah I know but this is single tanks and it is more comfortable), and deluxe medium pockets (so I can drop in a little weight with AL tanks). Well, I'm happy, but dang the freedom plate thing still bothers me:banghead:
Could it have been better?

I was looking into one of these plates to replace my kydex BP but my understanding is they only work with the 'newer' Mach V that has slots for the cam bands. (I have an older model Mach V without cam band slots and use an STA.) Is my understanding correct?

I was looking into one of these plates to replace my kydex BP but my understanding is they only work with the 'newer' Mach V that has slots for the cam bands. (I have an older model Mach V without cam band slots and use an STA.) Is my understanding correct?

As much as I love spending money on new dive gear I cannot see replacing a conventional AL plate or a Kydex. They do not take up that much additional space. If acquiring a plate other than a SS it makes lots of sense IMO...

Yeah, I've seen the little travel plates. I have a hard time seeing though, how they can provide as stable a platform for the tank as a plate made from a stiffer/inflexible material. I've tried enough BC solutions with tanks flopping around that it's one of the things I won't compromise on.

Of course, having never tried any of those travel plates I could just be talking out my ... you know what :)

Henrik

Thanks, I feel a little better:crying::D At least the Oxycheq has nice attachment points and does give me about the same stability as my DR Steel Plate.

OK, pis_ me off:mooner::D. I just spent $ on a different rig. I bounced back and forth on the freedom plate vs Oxycheq SS travel plate. Please don't tell me it is better:D

I'm not familiar with the Oxycheq SS travel plate, but by my thinking, as long as it is rigid, I'm sure it's fine.

I went with a 30 lbs wing, just 'cause it was what I already owned.

Every one who acquires seems to love them. How much does it weigh? I doubt 2lbs.

From vague memory I seem to recall Eric mentioning 2 lbs ...? He's ZKY here on SB so you could always ask.

I was looking into one of these plates to replace my kydex BP but my understanding is they only work with the 'newer' Mach V that has slots for the cam bands.

Again, I'll have to refer to Eric, but I think yes, you'll need cam band slots. Or you may be able to drill holes and mount a standard STA??

Henrik

Again, I'll have to refer to Eric, but I think yes, you'll need cam band slots. Or you may be able to drill holes and mount a standard STA??

Henrik
Assuming that'd work... excellent idea, Henrik! I know someone with access to a machine shop so it'd be doable. Thanks! :)

Back
Top Bottom