Freedom Contour _Small_ - What wings fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FNQ_Mick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Those of you who own specifically small Freedom Contour plates - what wings have you found fit? I have access to a limited number of choices in shop & don’t want to have to return mail order stuff that doesn’t fit

FNQ_Mick

@Eric Sedletzky

I know he has worked with VDH to work with their wing, and OxyCheq also comes to mind.

See what else he may say.

As far as I know right now, the VDH and Oxycheq Mach V wings are the ones that will positively work. Those two wings have 9.5” center hole options on their wings. On the VDH wing it will be the two inner holes on the wing, and the cam slots line up perfect. The latest plate design was designed around the VDH wing, which was designed after the Oxycheq wing.

On other wings,
If the wing slots line up to the plate slots but the holes don’t line up, you don’t necessarily have to bolt the wing up to the plate. The wing can free float on top of the wedge bracket and when you set the cam bands the wing/plate/tank will all center up. To do this you bolt the wedge directly to the plate and the wing lays on top. Remove the rubber edge guards on the wedge if you do this. You may have to fiddle with the wing/tank/plate hight adjustments since the wing will not be attached to the plate but this is fairly minor. Remember that it wasn’t too long ago that this was pretty standard with BP/W systems that the wings just freefloated and were sandwiched in between the tank and plate.
The other option is to forget about the top hole if there isn’t one and just find a lower hole to bolt the wedge through. As long as the cam slots line up this is also an option.
The final option is to find a wing that you like that the slots line up and if you want it attached simply burn in your own holes with a hot screw driver.
There are some wings that I know WILL NOT work. These would be the Apex wings, Halcyon, DSS, Mares, UTD. These wings have either no slots or slots that are way to far apart and do not line up.

Another wing that WILL work is Diverite since they have a wide open area known as a “cross hair” design.

I’m hoping someday that holes and slots in wings will become somewhat standardized, but it seems that’s not the case right now.

I have a small freedom plate attached to 34# HOG wing. I removed the plastic tube inserts in the HOG when setting up as they were not needed and in the way.
Want PM photos?

Eric - thanks for the info.

Over the weekend ( while visiting with family in our state capital ) I visited 7 dive shops with plate in hand. Aside from the gasps and oohs & Aaahs, I found only the small Mares wing in 3 shops, and a lot of confused looks when asking about wings or donuts.

Bubblesong - yes please - you know what they say in forums - photos or it didn't happen =)

FNQ_Mick

I may know a place in Brizzy

full.jpg

It’s the older style plate but this is an Oxycheq 30. I also have the VDH 18. (Forgive the caterpillars and pollen. We are in Florida diving the springs/river)

B5D77CB3-687E-4DFD-87BF-B195E4E35D67.jpeg
FEFF752C-2E33-4841-A37F-B66FA905B9C7.jpeg

@happy-diver - What wings are they pictured? - I don't recognise the logo. Do they have slots or do they require an STA?

Ooooh where? do tell

FNQ_Mick

ALPHA from Melbourne Aust with slots, roll control
You still here, I can make some shots next to an FP

Eric - thanks for the info.

Over the weekend ( while visiting with family in our state capital ) I visited 7 dive shops with plate in hand. Aside from the gasps and oohs & Aaahs, I found only the small Mares wing in 3 shops, and a lot of confused looks when asking about wings or donuts.

Bubblesong - yes please - you know what they say in forums - photos or it didn't happen =)

FNQ_Mick
Wings and donuts.
I’m surprised they didn’t send you to the airport and the corner donut shop.
:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom