Freediving masks for scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taimen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there any drawbacks in using freediving style ultra low volume masks for scuba diving?
I am thinking that a low volume dual lens freediving mask could make a beatiful prescription mask as the lens area is smaller.

None that come to mind.

There is a "freedive only" mask which is NOT recommended for anything other than competitive freediving. it has a wrap around, polymer lens that has a tendency to distort peripheral vision and the lens itself is vulnerable to scratching.

Aqua Sphere Sphera Freedive Mask
MASSFM-2T.jpg

NOTE: This mask is not recommended for spearfishing. This is a highly specialized mask specifically designed for competitive freediving and freedive training. Because the lens is made of Plexisol, (not tempered glass), it is subject to scratching. Additionally, because the lens is curved, it can alter perception.

NOTE: NEVER use a lighter to defog the Sphera's Plexisol lens! Always use the toothpaste method described in the mask defog video to the right.

I use a Cressi Nano (small face so took me a while to find it). I really prefer the low volume masks - not nearly as bulky and lens sits way closer to your eyes so it helps my peripheral vision IMHO. I'll venture my opinion that getting a comfortable mask that seals well should be your 1st priority. I dove for nearly a year before discovering that hey, your mask really doesn't have to leak at all - it was self defogging so thought that was just how it was supposed to be. It's really amazing to go an entire dive without having to clear or defog and come up with no mask ring when you pull it off. Shop around and try them all. You might end up with a $10 or a $110 mask but unless it seals and is comfortable after an hour - it's just garbage

and I'm sure you know that the strap isn't there to make the seal - it just helps keep the mask on your face (and you can tell who have their straps too tight trying to get that seal once your back on the boat). There have been a number of times I've had the strap come off during splash and the mask remained on (and dry).

Our MAKO Minimus mask is very popular and it will fit and you will love it or I will take it back. People may find it hard to believe that a small mask can provide MORE unrestricted vision than a larger mask, but once you realize that a mask like the Mako Minimus puts the lenses super close to your eyes, you can understand how peripheral vision is until unhindered.

Extreamly low volume masks are a PITA to clear as you have to tilt your head from side to side to clear both sides, for example OMER Zero and her derivatives (don't buy any of those, especialy the one that comes with a noseclip). Other freediving masks are actualy easier to clear than most normal scuba masks (less volume=less air needed to displace the water in it.) and usually offer a wider field of view as the lenses are closer to your face. Most important is that you find the one that fits. I would recommend something like Cressi Focus, Mares Tana or Technisub Micromask as I have found that they fit every customer we can't fit one of the rental masks on.

People may find it hard to believe that a small mask can provide MORE unrestricted vision than a larger mask, but once you realize that a mask like the Mako Minimus puts the lenses super close to your eyes, you can understand how peripheral vision is until unhindered

I have no difficulty in realizing that. For prescription lenses I am looking for something with lense distance close to regular eyglasses.
Is your MAKO Minimus the same as Technisub Micromask?

I have no difficulty in realizing that. For prescription lenses I am looking for something with lense distance close to regular eyglasses.
Is your MAKO Minimus the same as Technisub Micromask?

Thanks for the inquiry. No they are not the same although they look similar.

the biggest advantage (other than costing about 1/3 as much). Is the strap attachment mechanism.

The mako has a much more robust and less damage prone method. Attaching the strap buckle to the skirt protects the buckle from impact and damage caused by dropping or rough handling.. the mako mask skirt just folds inward if
Dropped. The technisub has the buckle in a veryvulnerable position on the frame.

At DEMA a month ago I noticed a big change and many manufacturers are adopting the skirt attachment method that we have been using for years. It also allows the mask to safely be folded flat for insertion in a pocket, should a back up mask be needed.

I have also noticed this trend in skirt attachment points getting more popular. In another thread I also pointed out that even very similar mask models coming from the same OEM may have differences like softer silicone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom