Freediving Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VibesAndHorizons

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking for recommendations for freediving fins (plastic/fiberglass) for open-ocean scuba diving. I will also use them for freediving, but want some power and efficiency for Socorro. Thoughts?

I use DiveR fins for freediving and they are excellent. Check them out. Cressi Gara are also a popular fin
I always use Hollis F1's for scuba diving regardless of site.

I have a set of (very old) Cressi Rondine Gara equipped with special foot shoes equipped with rubber straps, which can be used both with bare feet, or with scuba booths.
The blades can be changed, there were three lengths and two different stiffness, for a total of 6 different models.
My ones are the short length and the soft type, my wife has the intermediate length and the stiff type (she is stronger than me, and much more streamlined).
They were popular 30 years ago, now they are difficult to find, so I and my wife keep them with great care, as if we break the rubber parts they will be very difficult to replace.
Here a photo of my ones (my wife's ones are identical, but black):
6ayOpw43ajv4LLWVEsCUkOTqo7fj8I8mTRZ5yVTaujzMCqHaqcVdXtKTW6f2NnSq_3hTnFsivX3tM_qpAPStIatFYexXcertp5XCeF2_EHVfBoB2iHjypofw0zzUCShHsVrESw_Q_qrTKcaktejNtRE3Ep59uny-PDULTQLWjRxGhFfxy2YcOWio6Lhz_y2hkAGFSolD_e92PY8jq7VrqLeq78Pkb_c_MqCgv1MIsVHzAfFCQfmFRmp-3K1BUuhdb4bq671CaOVA9hoJhx96fhpy8-rW8KPw8xUIBBatTRoTmIDGDe2K1HQd2BKgW5VWS9PFUuwXJTisIGg_JBX6tSlLsE8L-wd43JZt5w8Qf_nC45KhUWe3sGAsfiyNv3jM3yxsTp4x5zys670m2Lkb9Pv4Rnd9tzCiA8zUSbMc9oeqq-3svi7FWp8do3cdnDje-gU8Vf0Fz4beIKpmyHgRZI5qnKGHq2Jjpj_rJjEFHS9kUMSQk90nA1wyJasoe2o1Iq77JtHSf2rcrVKcGKkrtS_8XGSvv5HExN6Qanm5585OkWNmT35fvBF2H3KUF3-C1yXX1sLMkSFY9ERXhcQNS-vUiB-pvN9Ow5UyVHEfJjIhngoSQwR-reJi3oFeJF42vre1j1u5LXUK8LvbOI8I0YiT6DqmPKRVKV-9bukE59OEkNLSou9BqjV-=w1263-h947-no

I'm looking for recommendations as well. I used the beuchat goldfins for scuba years ago, and I loved em. I replaced footpockets twice. When the last set fell apart, I went back to short fins, as I couldn't find replacement pockets, or other open heel long fins at the time.

I have found that open footpockets are less common, but more readily available now.

Has anyone used the newer JBL fins?

The tricky part is finding foot pockets that work with your feet. I currently have some Omers that are okay, and some Sporasubs that are just a bit tighter in the toes, which for me makes them worse. My favorites were Esclapez, but I'm not even sure they are around anymore, and I don't think they had replaceable blades either.

You are in LA, head to Bluewater Hunters and try some out. Actually... do they even have a brick and mortar store anymore?

They were popular 30 years ago, now they are difficult to find, so I and my wife keep them with great care, as if we break the rubber parts they will be very difficult to replace.

Immersion makes open-heel foot pockets in 2 sizes and 3 blade length/stiffness (last I looked). Their shipping cost to US is more than the fins, and if you have to return and get the other size... FF price tags will look very reasonable.

I have these:

https://www.makospearguns.com/Men-s-Competition-Freediver-II-Fins-p/mcf2f.htm

and these (Medium stiffness):

https://www.makospearguns.com/Carbon-Elite-Freedive-Fins-p/mceff.htm

I used the former until I got the latter.

I use them for open ocean scuba diving. They are awesome. They even work well for frog kicks. I think they are both worth the money. It just depends on your budget. The $90 ones really are good, and probably the least expensive freediving fins around that have removable foot pockets.

Of note: I have the largest gear bag that Ogio has ever made (as far as I know). The 9900. They don't make it anymore. My freediving fins are too long to fit in it unless I remove the blades from the foot pockets. My point: If you go with less expensive and get ones that do not have the removable foot pocket, you may have trouble taking them with you if you want to fly with them.

Also, I just saw that the Mako carbon fiber fins are on sale right now, and the sale is probably going to end in the next day or two. Just FYI...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom