Freediving breath-holding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Hamm

Contributor
Reaction score
In the middle of the biggest neighborhood ever
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, I am new to the "non-mechanized" view of the underwater world. I am 16 and an avid Scuba Diver. I am looking to begin freediving to somewhat supplement my dreams for college. I am wanting to go into the Coast Guard Academy for college and come out as a Rescue Swimmer/Diver. As one of these rescue swimmers (equivalent of Navy Seals of the Navy, and the most elite of the coast guard, a 1/126 ratio of swimmers to normal coasties). Is there any specific classes I need to take to increase my breath time? Any advise in going about this? I don't want to be one of the cadets that passes out during the exam.
Thanks
Mitch

there are freediving courses that help you improve your breath-hold time and your technique.
also, as a good training method, you can breathe through a straw (trains the lungs).
i did this and in just a few days my time went up to about 1.5-2 minutes more :)
well i hope i managed to be of help to you :)

Thanks! Ill try the straw. I will look for apnea courses around me, thanks again.

As one of these rescue swimmers (equivalent of Navy Seals of the Navy, and the most elite of the coast guard, a 1/126 ratio of swimmers to normal coasties).

I'm pretty sure that SEAL would take a lot of offense to this for a lot of reasons.

Aside from that, chat with Erin from Performance Freediving. She is on this forum somewhere.

Breathing through a straw is an interesting one. Something that you can easily do for starters is improve you cardio vascular fitness and ultimately push your anaerobic threshold. They also say that yoga helps as well.

breathing through the straw helps build up co2 tolerance and strengthens the lungs.
its a known training method in israel.but if youre 16 youre able to get your free diving certificate: go, get some knowledge, learn some skills and most importantly have fun :)
the basic class should get you to a level of a 2-3 minute breath-hold and a depth of 20 metres.

I'm sorry to offend anyone, I was using it as an analogy, not comparing the 2, only saying that swimmers are the best of the best in the coast guard, like the Seals are of the navy, I apologize for the comparison, the two of them have completely different roles, you cannot compare them.

Thanks all of you for the help, now its just a matter of finding a class certifying facility in the kentucky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom