Wanted Free yoke style 1st

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathan Doty

Contributor
Reaction score
NOT TO DIVE WITH, I'm not crazy :) Buy I have a spare spg and I DON'T have a quick and easy way to check tank pressure without breaking out my reg set. If you have a junker 1st stage good enough to be a garage tool and nothing else that you want it out of your way, please let me know.

Keep in mind that if you go this frugal route, you should connect a second stage to a LP port to act as a pressure relief valve in case the 1st stage malfunctions, which a "junker" just might do. Safer route would be to buy a pressure gauge. This one's DIN, but you could get a yoke adapter or find one that's specifically for yoke valves: Accurate Cylinder Pressure Checker

To add to what Lorenzoid said, if you put a an SPG only on a first stage and use it to check tank pressure.... I hope you have a lot of spare time. With pressure applied, you will have trouble (read "nearly impossible") to loosen the yoke, and if you do get it loose you'll extrude the O-ring. The second stage doesn't just serve as a safety valve, it is also you're pressure release.
For the use case, I would just go this route: https://www.amazon.com/H2ODYSSEY-Yo...&rnid=2941120011&s=outdoor-recreation&sr=1-18 Rather than putting in the effort/time to keep a reg in marginally useable shape just as a tank checker.

Respectfully,

James

To add to what Lorenzoid said, . . . The second stage doesn't just serve as a safety valve, it is also you're pressure release. . . .

Of course. I was typing faster than I was thinking. Right--you need a pressure gauge with a bleed valve, as those linked to above have.

Better to get an LP hose with tire inflator attachment. Then you can check tank pressure and also inflate tires. To release pressure in first stage after tank valve is turned off you can just press the pin on the tire inflator.

The problem with that idea is that if/when the clunker first stage fails and IP goes too high, the LP inflator hose will explode and might even cause injury. Don't ask how I know this.

You want a second stage on the reg to bleed off excess IP creep.

You want a second stage on the reg to bleed off excess IP creep.
Well, you want a second stage -- or an overpressure relief valve -- in case the first stage fails and you get full tank pressure coming at you. The problem isn't really IP creep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom