Free Iphone/Ipad Fish ID applications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
If you happen to have an Iphone or Ipad, there are currently two FREE apps from the Smithsonian. You will find them in the App store under FISHES: Greater Caribbean and FISHES: East Pacific. These are very large apps (around .5 gig) so it might be wise to check how much room you have before downloading.

You can search by name, location, etc, etc. It has multiple photos (where they exist), range maps and most importantly, links to where you can add information to add info for future updates.

This covers a huge number of species not covered by other texts and being free does not hurt.

Just so you know, the reason it is only available for Iphone/Ipad is due to the cost of maintaining stuff on the other systems.

For a quick comparison, there are 21 species of scorpion fish in the Caribbean app, roughly twice that of the next best text.

A fair number of images in this app are mine, so every time someone downloads the Caribbean app, odds are, you will eventually be looking at one of my images.

cool beans! congrats on getting your photos published, and hoping there is an android app soon.

cool beans! congrats on getting your photos published, and hoping there is an android app soon.

Sadly, there will not be an android app. As I understand it, android charges an annual storage fee for apps, something the Smithsonian cannot get grants for. Apple does not, so once it is loaded on Apple's server, it does not cost anymore. Ross (Dr Roberson) tells me they buy a lot of used Ipads around his place in Panama to load apps.

bummer... sounds like a really good app to have.

Thanks go out to whoever helped make it possible.

Will pass that along. But keep in mind that everyone that down loads one of these apps, helps make it possible for the next one (no support = no funding), so thanks for down loading.

Thanks for pointing this out, and to all responsible for its development. I can't wait to download both! (Good thing I got the high capacity iPhone).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom