Free Flowing Nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My mask slowly leaks. Once in a while I do the mask clearing deal. A bit of annoying, but I can live with it, until I look up and get water straight into my nose, throat and choking. How do I prevent it from happening other than not looking up while diving?
That sounds like a mask fit issue. Never over tighten as a fix. I demonstrate to students how tight a strap “needs” to be by diving without a strap. The water pressure keeps the seal and i do a full skill demonstration with no leaks. If your mask is leaking, consider: hair, proper fit for face, dimples when smiling or using mouthpiece, age/hardness of silicone skirt.
Also to note, you can block off your airway with tongue and throat muscles to keep out water even if it goes up your nose. Ive allowed water to pass through my nose before to avoid a sputtery mess...

Yep. If I ever get around to buying my own regs, this would be the main reason why.

How do i fix dimples when smiling? :D

Unless you want to dive with my mother-in-law, i dont know how to make SCUBA bad enough to stop smiling

You learn to smile with only your eyes and body language.

Still not convinced that you fixed it (her issue). I think the WOB (Work of breathing - Wikipedia) of a detuned reg is forcing her to make a glottal stop. Great, solved 'your problem' at the expense of her comfort.

She'll have to keep diving and decide for herself. I certainly prefer a detuned reg to that, someone else's MMV.

I had this happen when my first stage was de-tuned. A slight adjustment by feel and trial and error (testing in water) stopped it immediately. It would happen at the end of my inhale when I paused slightly before exhaling. It was frustrating on dives until we figured it out and fixed it as I would have to quickly exhale prematurely. It was happening on both second stages so I suspected it was the first stage. It did great things for my rmv/sac (not!). I’m glad you figured it out and all is well now.

Back
Top Bottom