Free Flowing Nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coyoteran

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all.

So I have been a PADI instructor for 4 years now and last weekend I ran across something that I haven't seen before. One of my students has a free flowing nose. It bubbles when she inhales, exhales, and pauses. It is non stop without a noticeable break in the stream. Initially I just thought she was exhaling into her mask but when we did the no mask breathing it was a steady output even as her chest rose and fell while breathing.

Aside from her mask fogging up all the time it doesn't seem to be causing any distress but it does seem very odd.

I did find one thread about this dating back some time which sounds plausible but I am hoping for additional info/validation.

Thanks in advance

Trevor

I tend to ask for de-tuned regs (I rent) because of this, but my nose does not usually freeflow on inhale. Unless I'm "sipping" the air really slowly.

Regs with really low cracking effort freeflow into my mouth and out the nose and mask unless I deliberately "pooh" at the end of inhale. Or stick my tongue in. It's annoying. Usually when I get one of these, turning venturi lever to "pre-dive" doesn't help much either.

I did find one thread about this dating back some time which sounds plausible but I am hoping for additional info/validation.
Don't know which thread you found, but I have a similar 'issue'. Mask noise

No biggie, I can consciously stop the bubbling when I become aware of a steady stream (of bubbles) coming from my mask during drift periods between breaths...

Hi all.

So I have been a PADI instructor for 4 years now and last weekend I ran across something that I haven't seen before. One of my students has a free flowing nose. It bubbles when she inhales, exhales, and pauses. It is non stop without a noticeable break in the stream. Initially I just thought she was exhaling into her mask but when we did the no mask breathing it was a steady output even as her chest rose and fell while breathing.

Aside from her mask fogging up all the time it doesn't seem to be causing any distress but it does seem very odd.

Thanks in advance

Trevor

I have had this happen once but not on inhale.
Same as dmaziuk, my reg ease of breathing was all the way out causing a very gentle freeflow. Very slight turn in 1/16 of a turn stopped it.
Now when setting ease of breathing initially I set all the way out, then just a hair back in.

I'm out of the loop here. You guys are talking about reg (de)tuning, mask air, etc. I thought there was a steady stream of air coming out of the nose--which to me indicates some bad medical problem or scorcery. See my confusion?

I'm out of the loop here. You guys are talking about reg (de)tuning, mask air, etc. I thought there was a steady stream of air coming out of the nose ...//...
I think that it is a delicate balance of both, but I have nothing more than my own experience to support this presumption.

If the soft palate is only lightly closed, an 'anticipate the next breath' tuned secondary reg will gently flow past that minor obstruction and bubble out of the mask.

Again, human physiology does not support a positive pressure at the nose during an inhale: .no/gardot/frenzel.pdf

Again, human physiology does not support a positive pressure at the nose during an inhale

Physiology isn't designed for having compressed gas forcefully blown into our mouths. Breathe in slower than the reg's delivering and the excess gas will find another place to go.

agree with increasing cracking pressure. Also may try having her keep a bit of water in her mask that will make her keenly aware of when she is or is not using her nose.

Reactions: Dan

Back
Top Bottom