Free-Flow Control Device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dantastic

Registered
Reaction score
I saw this in the new Scuba Diving magazine.
www.aqualung.com/products/free_flow_control.html

They say it fits on any standard 2nd stage. May be of some use for solo diving. It allows you to shut down the air supply to a free flowing reg.

In my opinion for 60 bucks it could be useful, if you haven't put together a fully redundant system. At least you will have air in your tank to use your octo.

The problem comes in when you have a frozen first stage causing the free flow...you close that valve and the 3000 psi in your lp hose makes it go POP.

The way to control a free flow is with redundant equipment and being able to quickly manipulate your valves and NOT with some ill-concieved gimick!

What you do is your business but personally I'd skip solo diving untill I had redundant equipment.

Dantastic:
In my opinion for 60 bucks it could be useful, if you haven't put together a fully redundant system. At least you will have air in your tank to use your octo.
Most free-flows occur at the beginning of the dive with a full-ish tank. Just breath off the free flow and save the $60.00.

Most free-flows are really 1st stage freeze ups, so you could soon be having the same fun with your octo. Just breath off the free-flow and end the dive.

Adding in another failure point - a cut-off switch at that - is not my favorite idea for replacing preparation, proper equipment, and skill (although it used to be :11: ).

Back when I was solo diving in winter (150+ dives ago), I sometimes had free-flows. I always carried a pony to go to, but I just stuck with the free-flowing reg and always had the gas to safely ascend, so I never needed it.

Now when a buddy has a free-flow, we just shut off the main valve, share air for a minute to let the 1st stage defrost, turn the valve back on and continue the dive.

Dantastic:
I saw this in the new Scuba Diving magazine.
www.aqualung.com/products/free_flow_control.html

They say it fits on any standard 2nd stage. May be of some use for solo diving. It allows you to shut down the air supply to a free flowing reg.

This product has its uses,but not the way they are trying to market it..

a) used on a reg that is emergency gas for divers, whether hung overboard with tank on surface or a staged bottle.. This insures a small leak over time does not deplete an emergency bottle..This is especially useful for divers using a deco trapeze with oxygen supplied from the surface.

b) rebreather divers use this type of device on their auto diluent addition valves.. this is used to disable the demand characteristics of this valve.. there are timeswhen a RB diver doesnot want gass addedwhen the loop is low on volume.

for others it really serves little purpose..

BTW out of all the versions of this on the market theAPEKS/US divers is probably the one most likely to need servicing.. I used to use this version alot, but had too many leaks.. I now use either the version from oxycheq or APD.

I think padisscubapro is on the right track. This could be useful on a stage bottle. YOu could charge the line and then switch it off. That way you wouldnt have to worry about loosing gas during the dive (ie while scootering). and it would keep the first stage pressurized so you wouldn't have to worry about water getting in there.

Glad to get some other opinions on it. I certainly wasn't recommending it, as i have never used the product, but i thought it was interesting and thought i would get some other opinions.

I personally never solo dive in more than about 20fsw so a free flow wouldn't be a problem.

MikeFerrara:
The problem comes in when you have a frozen first stage causing the free flow...you close that valve and the 3000 psi in your lp hose makes it go POP.

The way to control a free flow is with redundant equipment and being able to quickly manipulate your valves and NOT with some ill-concieved gimick!

What you do is your business but personally I'd skip solo diving untill I had redundant equipment.

If your 1st stage freezes up and you shutdown the "device", it will simply vent the pressure through your octo/backup, not rupture a hose. If you aren't using an octo, you'll need an overpressure relief valve.

This product has been in Zeagle's catalog for years.

I personally think it could come in handy for cold-water recreational divers. However, like others have already said, solo diving requires true redundancy in the form of pony/buddy bottles or doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom