Fred Harley Passing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R Adams

New
Reaction score
It saddens me to announce the passing of my good friend Mr Fred Harley. Fred was a founding member of the dive club "Devonian Divers of Canada and for 37 years serviced Bauer diving compressors for the retail dive community. Fred was one of the founders of the very first ACUC air test programs across Canada in the early 80's and was a inspiration for the creation of trade show Underwater Canada.

Fred was one of a kind. Mark S from TAM Dive and I were having a pint a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned that Fred had passed. I always think of Fred as Mr Airtest. If he'd checked on a system, you knew you were sucking clean gas. I believe he did all of that air testing for OUC at his own expense for many years...

I think the last time I saw Fred was at G+S in Tobermory... Back when Betty was still managing the place!

Fred was one of a kind. Mark S from TAM Dive and I were having a pint a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned that Fred had passed. I always think of Fred as Mr Airtest. If he'd checked on a system, you knew you were sucking clean gas. I believe he did all of that air testing for OUC at his own expense for many years...

I think the last time I saw Fred was at G+S in Tobermory... Back when Betty was still managing the place!

i liked Fred he was one of a kind don't know if he did air testing for nothing ........ i do know danny hutton did it for years i saw the set up it was extensive .

Just to correct something you have said about Fred Harley; he was not a founding member of Devonian Divers. The club was founded on April 4, 1964 and Fred join the club in 1967. It was formed by seven members of Toronto Skin Divers, a club that was sponsored by Supreme Divers of Toronto. Fred was asked to join when those who were operating the club were driving it into the ground. Fred agreed and lead the club for forty years until it folded in 2007.
Leo Darmitz
Member of Devonian Divers from September 25, 1964 to when it folded.

Good day.
Was hoping someone out there could help me out.
I was a member of the Devonian Divers way back in the 60's and have lost my certification card.
Does anyone know who may have the clubs records or know where I could possibly go to look up the records?
PADI has no records and I'm not sure which assoc I was certified with.
Many thanks in advance.
Frank P Courville

Good day.
Was hoping someone out there could help me out.
I was a member of the Devonian Divers way back in the 60's and have lost my certification card.
Does anyone know who may have the clubs records or know where I could possibly go to look up the records?
PADI has no records and I'm not sure which assoc I was certified with.
Many thanks in advance.
Frank P Courville
Hi Frank:
I joined Devonian Divers in September of 1964 and remained with them until the day they folded in 2007. If I recall, during the early days, the club did not issue any currently recognized certifications. I received the club's first certification on May 1, 1967 and I know that there was never a Frank Courville who received club certification as I have those records. The records show you as a member, but no certification was ever issued of which the club had any record. There was one of our members, Vic Flanders, who did issue PADI, but that was after 1975.
I hope you are successful in your search. Unfortunately, most club records have been destroyed. I am probably the only person that has retained any records. Your name is there, but no record of certification.
Sorry I could not help you further.
Leo Darmitz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom