Fourth Element Xerotherm Undergarments Sizing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cashew

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any ladies here use the xerotherm undergarments? If so, how well does the "XS" and "S" unisex sizing work and how well do they translate to street sizes? They seem to be cut for men more than women - e.g., if it fits in the chest it won't fit in the hip (this is what happened when I tried the core warmer vest - got the smallest size "S", and it was big in the chest but I had a lot of trouble getting to to stay down on my hips).

I have the Xerotherms, and they fit me like an absolute glove: size S, and very comfortable and flexible. I absolutely love them, and I have a very hourglass shape. I am about 5-3 and my weight swings between 135 and 140 lb (harrumph).

Now, my experience with the older version of the Arctic underwear is a little different. I think the initial release was unisex (but I cannot swear to it), but I got my hands on a set that was going very cheap because it was old stock. The fit isn't the greatest, but I put up with it, because when you get a complete set of brand-new underwear for $100, there are sometimes drawbacks! The subsequent versions of the Arctic seem better-tailored to the female form, because they are made specifically for women: the older edition seemed more unisex, to my eye.

Can't edit my previous post, so I am adding to it. I am not sure why the unisex Xerotherm fits me so well, whereas the (presumably) unisex Arctic underwear does not fit nearly as wonderfully. I am guessing it's because the Xerotherm's material is thinner and more flexible. Either way, I would fully recommend the Xerotherm, and the female version of the Arctic (both the one and two piece versions are awesome).

Just a thought if you're having trouble finding something that fits...

I went with a basic wicking base layer that was designed for winter sports, but not specifically for diving, due to sizing issues. The cost was a lot less. Maybe check out REI?

Just a thought if you're having trouble finding something that fits...

I went with a basic wicking base layer that was designed for winter sports, but not specifically for diving, due to sizing issues. The cost was a lot less. Maybe check out REI?

Thanks for the input - I already have several base layer/wicking options. I was primarily interested in the Xerotherm set because it's a single layer that's supposedly rated for down to 55-60 F.

I have the Xerotherms, and they fit me like an absolute glove: size S, and very comfortable and flexible. I absolutely love them, and I have a very hourglass shape. I am about 5-3 and my weight swings between 135 and 140 lb (harrumph).

Thanks, this is helpful to know.

If you are going to go the non-drysuit specific underwear route, choose very carefully. Skiers and the like do not have to worry about compression, but divers do: undergarment features such as thick seams may not be noticeable to a skier, but for divers, it's a different story. That's why I prefer to use the garments designed specifically for the job, but of course, one's mileage may vary.

If you are going to go the non-drysuit specific underwear route, choose very carefully. Skiers and the like do not have to worry about compression, but divers do: undergarment features such as thick seams may not be noticeable to a skier, but for divers, it's a different story. That's why I prefer to use the garments designed specifically for the job, but of course, one's mileage may vary.

Thanks for the head's up. Fortunately, what I got has thin seams. I found a fleece one-piece that fits (in a men's size), but with a custom drysuit, I was trying to save where I could. If they turn out to not work for diving, they'll get used in the winter anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom