Fourth Element SubXero - some info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spatman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
if anyone here on SB dives one, i'm curious to know how it compares to other undergarments you have tried, and also if you noticed a change in your weighting as a result.

thanks.

What experience do you have with other under garments? I bought the Subxero's a year and a half ago, so I have a decent amount of experience with them. Weighting wise they are about equal to the Weexle Extreme + underwear. Previously I used either 300 gram fleece, or the DC 200 gram thinsulate layered with 100 gram fleece. I did switch to a SS plate instead of an aluminum plate with my 130's. That added about 4 lbs to offset the added buoyancy from the Subxeros. They are a great product backed by excellent customer service. If you have any more specific questions you can p.m. me.

i've been using a weezle extreme for a while now, and although it's been good, i'm curious to know what else is out there and how it compares. the only thing i'm not wild about with the weezle is the extra gas needed for it to maintain its loft/insulation. i had to add a few pounds of lead to offset that. no big deal, but i'd like to cut back if possible.

i dive in temps that range from mid-40sF in winter to mid-50sF in summer. dive times range up to 60-70 minutes. a couple of layers of polypropylene under the weezle in the winter, and i'm still a bit chilled by the end of the dive.

The 4th Elements are very nice. They do require some more lead due to the thickness, but probably less than that weezle(was that part of the group buy a couple years ago?) The 2 piece design is extremely comfortable and allows for great movement. It is thick though, but that is nothing new if your used to the Weezle, although its not nearly as thick as a Weezle xtreme plus :wink:

no group buy for me, i got it through an individual dealer in the Seattle area.

thanks for the info on the SubX. i'm going to see if there anyone local who might have one i can try out, but i don't think it's likely...

I picked up the Xm450 and all i can say is 42 degrees was mighty toasty. I felt like I could do a 2 hour dive plus with no problem. I too went with the SS backplate with 130's and could hold the stops just fine and suit squeeze didn't effect the fleece/ thinsulate undergarment. The mobility is also pretty awesome, could reach my valves, no problems. I know three people who own the SubZero's and all have been somewhat disapointed. I'll PM them and let them chime in on their first hand input...

Temps range from low 40s to low 60s depending on the time of year in NJ. Dives up to one hour or so. I am using a Dive Rite 905EXP Trilam suit.

During the warmer water temps I some times replace the Arctic top with just a Fourth Element Technical top.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom