Fourth Element Proteus II wetsuit fitting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kat6699

Registered
Reaction score
Just received my Proteus II, it fits everywhere except for the neck, it’s choking me! If I wore it to a dive I'd suffocate before entering the water.
I contacted customer service and after showing them my picture I was suggested not to size up because since I didn't have a problem zipping it up then it should be the right size. I was also told to soak it in water and it will expand, and try to stretch the neck with whatever tool I can find.
Fellow Proteus II owners, I’d like to know how tight did yours fit when you first tried it on? Should I give it a second chance or should I exchange for a bigger size?

Attachments

• WechatIMG115.jpeg
    WechatIMG115.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 400
I don't imagine that this has anything to do with the brand/model of suit. You just have a suit that is too tight for your neck. I don't think soaking neoprene in water for a few hours is likely to help, other than it might soften the nylon some. You might even consider running the suit through your washing machine with warm water (gentle cycle) and hang to dry. I find that when my down-south suit has been hanging for months unused, it gets stiff. A once through the washer tends to soften it up a little.

I gather this is a back-zip suit. What about leaving the zipper open a little at the top. You appear to be quite slim, like Mrs Stoo. She wears a Henderson Aqualock, often with a hood. When the hood is tucked in, the neck is tight, so we just don't zip it all the way up.

The only other thing I can suggest (and w do this with new drysuit neck seals) is to stretch the neck over a tank or something that is larger than your neck. If you washed the suit, then stretched the neck over the tank for a day or two, it might get a little larger, just as it will after a bunch of dives.

I agree though, based on the photo, the suit seems to fit you well.

I don't imagine that this has anything to do with the brand/model of suit. You just have a suit that is too tight for your neck. I don't think soaking neoprene in water for a few hours is likely to help, other than it might soften the nylon some. You might even consider running the suit through your washing machine with warm water (gentle cycle) and hang to dry. I find that when my down-south suit has been hanging for months unused, it gets stiff. A once through the washer tends to soften it up a little.

I gather this is a back-zip suit. What about leaving the zipper open a little at the top. You appear to be quite slim, like Mrs Stoo. She wears a Henderson Aqualock, often with a hood. When the hood is tucked in, the neck is tight, so we just don't zip it all the way up.

The only other thing I can suggest (and w do this with new drysuit neck seals) is to stretch the neck over a tank or something that is larger than your neck. If you washed the suit, then stretched the neck over the tank for a day or two, it might get a little larger, just as it will after a bunch of dives.

I agree though, based on the photo, the suit seems to fit you well.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm worried that if it's still too tight after everything I've tried, I wouldn't be able to return this expensive piece of wetsuit. Decisions decisions!

Just received my Proteus II, it fits everywhere except for the neck, it’s choking me! If I wore it to a dive I'd suffocate before entering the water.
I contacted customer service and after showing them my picture I was suggested not to size up because since I didn't have a problem zipping it up then it should be the right size. I was also told to soak it in water and it will expand, and try to stretch the neck with whatever tool I can find.
Fellow Proteus II owners, I’d like to know how tight did yours fit when you first tried it on? Should I give it a second chance or should I exchange for a bigger size?
Give it time to break in, think of it like new shoes.

I own one and when I first put it on, I felt the same. Heck, I would have to stick my fingers in the neck seal from time to time on dives. Having said that, I have found that it tends to stretch a bit and you just need to get past the break-in period.

I suggest wearing it in shallow water with a buddy so you don't have any issues. But trust me, mine now fits great and I love the suit!

hi i know its an old thread. can we cut a little of the neck seal? like you do on a dry suit?

Back
Top Bottom