For Trade Fourth Element Ellipse for Waterproof Ultima DGS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have a nearly new Fourth Element Ellipse Dryglove system used for one dive in fresh water (22 mins long)..

Would like to trade for a set of Waterproof Ultima DGS.

-Z

Why do you want to trade?

I have the Ultima DGS on one suit and purchased the Ellipse system for another to test it out and I found I prefer the Ultima system.

-Z

Interesting. I want to try a pair of TEDs.

Interesting....I just watched their videos. I wonder how difficult it would be to get those rings unscrewed after lots of ocean diving if one had to change the gloves or needed to take the cuff side of the system off the suit to change a seal.

Also it looks like it was designed specifically for use with latex seals, and it only comes in one diameter 90mm.

Given the potential issues and that it only comes in on size, I would recommend the Kubi system. The way it attaches is more versatile as it can be used with latex or silicone seals, everything is press fit/o-ring retained, and comes in choice of diameter so one can customize the fit if one has big or small hands.

Also, if one is looking for ease of assembly like they display in their video, I would suggest the Si-Tech quick cuff round ring system coupled with the si-tech glove lock dryglove system. Easy to install gloves on and easy and secure to attach the gloves side to the cuff side.

I cannot seem to find a Ted's distributor outside of Europe. If you really want to try a set of this system I can locate/order a set and ship them to you as I have access to an APO/USPS post office on the base I am stationed at.

If you have glued-in latex seals then i would also recommend looking at the Rolock system....it is pretty popular among divers here.

The Ultima DGS and the Fourth Element Ellipse systems are primarily designed for use with the Si-Tech QCS Oval cuff system....While the Ultima is a direct fit option for the si-tech oval cuff system it has a few options for mounting with different suit types, but the Ellipse system is uniquely designed for for the si-tech oval cuff system.

-Z

I have the Ultima DGS on one suit and purchased the Ellipse system for another to test it out and I found I prefer the Ultima system.

-Z
Sorry to hijack, but as one who is looking to purchase one or the other soon for my Fusion, may I ask why?

@Zef thanks for the insight. Honestly haven’t looked too much into it. I will be selling my present dry suit because of downsizing the house and will hopefully have a warmer zip code next winter. I will purchase a new system closer to time I just saw them and I am sucker for machined items.

@Zef thanks for the insight. Honestly haven’t looked too much into it. I will be selling my present dry suit because of downsizing the house and will hopefully have a warmer zip code next winter. I will purchase a new system closer to time I just saw them and I am sucker for machined items.

The Kubi system is made from aluminum.,..but it does not require threading together which in my opinion is plus.

-Z

Sorry to hijack, but as one who is looking to purchase one or the other soon for my Fusion, may I ask why?

I purchased 2 sets of the Ellipse system for my wife and I to test and review them. I already have a set of Ultima DGS for my suit and just prefer that over the Ellipse system. The 2nd set for my wife who used them for 1 x 22 minute fresh water dive yesterday...her suit came with the Si-Tech Virgo system and she did not like the bulkiness of that system especially when diving without the drygloves attached...she now wants to try the Ultima DGS to compare....my gloves are way too big for her and I am not inclined to take them off the rings.....since my preference is the Ultimas, I have no problem trading/selling 1 of the 2 sets of the Ellipse system to obtain another set of Ultimas for her to test out, if she likes them we will either stow or sell the 2nd Ellipse set, and if she doesn't like them I have wanted a second set of Ultima glove rings to have a spare set of gloves mounted and ready to go in case I puncture or tear a glove, but purchasing the Ultima glove side rings alone is cost prohibitive...so this is an "opportunity" for me to possibly get a spare set below my wife's radar.

I am still thinking about what I think of the Ellipse system to include in my review. It was also suggested that I do a video review instead of a written one...I have never done a video review before and am trying to decide if that is the direction I want to go while I slowly research what I need to do in the limited time I have to devote to it.

-Z

I purchased 2 sets of the Ellipse system for my wife and I to test and review them. I already have a set of Ultima DGS for my suit and just prefer that over the Ellipse system. The 2nd set for my wife who used them for 1 x 22 minute fresh water dive yesterday...her suit came with the Si-Tech Virgo system and she did not like the bulkiness of that system especially when diving without the drygloves attached...she now wants to try the Ultima DGS to compare....my gloves are way too big for her and I am not inclined to take them off the rings.....since my preference is the Ultimas, I have no problem trading/selling 1 of the 2 sets of the Ellipse system to obtain another set of Ultimas for her to test out, if she likes them we will either stow or sell the 2nd Ellipse set, and if she doesn't like them I have wanted a second set of Ultima glove rings to have a spare set of gloves mounted and ready to go in case I puncture or tear a glove, but purchasing the Ultima glove side rings alone is cost prohibitive...so this is an "opportunity" for me to possibly get a spare set below my wife's radar.

I am still thinking about what I think of the Ellipse system to include in my review. It was also suggested that I do a video review instead of a written one...I have never done a video review before and am trying to decide if that is the direction I want to go while I slowly research what I need to do in the limited time I have to devote to it.

-Z
Thanks, @Zef

Everything I hear about the Ultimas is very good. The big advantage for the elipse, if it really is one, would be keeping the lower profile, oval shape. Whichever route I go, I'd eventually like 2 sets of glove rings, so the lower cost of the Elipse is benefit. Now if I can just get a (dry) Fusion liner ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom