Foursquare Categories for dive shops, operators, and charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phonk64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I am posting here because I am creating a scuba site that uses the foursquare.com API to load dive shops from all around the globe and I need help getting Scuba related categories added to Foursquare. If you can, please go to this link https://getsatisfaction.com/foursquare/topics/please_add_scuba_diving_specific_categories?rfm=1 and like this idea. The more likes it gets the more likely it is that Foursquare will implement it.

One thing I've noticed while digging into the internals of Foursquare is that there are not any Scuba Diving related categories, and as such most dive shops make a best guess. In fact, most dive shops are categorized under "Sporting Goods Store", which is pretty darn close but that category is meant for places like Dick's Sports or Bass Pro Shop. I have found some scuba diving training facilities under the category "Pool", the same category assigned to neighborhood swimming pools! And to make it even harder to find dive shops, some are categorized as a Boat/Ferry. Worse, there are several dive shops that aren't even categorized at all!

Since Scuba diving is a unified industry operating throughout the world, creating two categories for scuba equipment stores and for scuba operators/charters would really help make it easier for everyone in the industry to be found on Foursquare. Your help is greatly appreciated in helping make scuba diving on Foursquare that much more visible.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom