Four openings, Socorro Islands Nov. 16-27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The Whalers Dive Club in Los Angeles has four last minute openings on the Nautilus Explorer to the Socorro Islands. We leave Tuesday, November 16, and return Saturday, November 27. The Socorro's are known for big fish like giant mantas and hammerheads. Water temperatures are in the 78 - 82 degrees.

Trip cost is $2000.00 plus airfare to La Paz. Compare this price to any of the listed prices for an 11 day trip on the Nautilus or the Solamar. This is a great bargain.

Search the board, and you'll only see great reviews of the Nautilus.

Contact Dawn at dcolebank@aol.com

Note: I am travelling for the next few days, and may be slow to reply to messages or PM's until I return early next week.
Your best bet is to contact Dawn at the above e-mail address.

Hello Rick
any space left
have been thinking about Socorro for a while and am looking for a last minute Thanksgiving trip
I live in New York

let me know
Georgia (212-242-7884)

Georgie:
Hello Rick
any space left
have been thinking about Socorro for a while and am looking for a last minute Thanksgiving trip
I live in New York

let me know
Georgia (212-242-7884)
Yes, 3 spots still remaining. I PM'ed you with my number.

I'm on the Jan 2005 trip, how was the one in Nov?

Were the tank sizes adequate for diving or did you go deep (and should I bring my pony tank?)
Thank you for any info or suggestions

RSdiver:
I'm on the Jan 2005 trip, how was the one in Nov?

Were the tank sizes adequate for diving or did you go deep (and should I bring my pony tank?)
Thank you for any info or suggestions
I'll do a full report shortly, but, bottom line, this is an incredible ship, crew, and dive. Swam with manta's, white tip, silver tip, galapegos, and sliky sharks ( I didn't get to see the hammerheads, but they were there ). We looked for tiger's but none found. -- and much much more. Air temps were 78-80 day or nite. Water averaged about 80. A 3mil was perfect.

The boat provides Al80's, or Faber Steel 100's. They pump 32% O2 if you want. ( Steel and nitrox are extra cost) There were many sites where we could go deep if we wanted ( greater than 200 or more feet ). But, no deco dives allowed. You have to realize that you're in the middle of nowhere; no helicopters to bring you to a chamber; no medical facilities; it's a 35-40 hour trip from the dock in La Paz to the closes island, San Benedicto, and the only civilization is a small Mexican navy base on Socorro Island. I'm a fairly conservative diver, and keep depths above 125. Most of the really really nice stuff was above 60, including the mantas and white tips. The nicer reefs were all pretty shallow - less than 40 foot. Nice long easy dives.

As to a pony or stage bottles, that of course if up to you. The DM's are fine with solo's, or, will dive/guide you if you want. Keep in mind that lots of the dives were in open blue water; easy to get turned around and disappear in the swells. The crew did ask that we all carry dive alerts and sausages ( they provide free if you don't have one ). Highly recommended.

One of the DM's was diving doubles, and the Nautilus is friendly to re-breathers.

E-mail Mike or Judith, ( mailto:mike@nautilusexplorer.com, mailto:Judith@nautilusexplorer.com ) the owners, if you have questions. They're both very helpful.

Have a wonderful trip. Say hi to Mike, Judith, Pete, Luis, LeAnne, and all the crew for me from Rick, and the Whalers.

rickyd:
I'll do a full report shortly, but, bottom line, this is an incredible ship, crew, and dive.

Thank you for the information, I'll be VERY interested in reading your trip report and enjoyed the photos on the Whaler's website.

I appreciate your advice and it sounds like most dives were quite shallow.
True?
The reason I had thought about taking my pony tank was because I talked to diver who came back from La Paz last month and said the hammerhead sharks were quite deep, below the 125 bottom you stated.

RSdiver:
The reason I had thought about taking my pony tank was because I talked to diver who came back from La Paz last month and said the hammerhead sharks were quite deep, below the 125 bottom you stated.
Unfortunately, there were only a few hammerheads seen on this trip, and those were all around 140+ feet. I've heard that on other trips, the DM's have seen lots and lots, in shallow waters. Remember, there is lots to see on this trip, so, even if you don't get to swim with the hammerheads, you won't be dissapointed.

Did you do any night dives?

The website says no, but Judith's email mentioned it so I'm confused and my big light is extra weight to pack.
Thank you

Call Judith at the Nautilus for info on night dives...depends on whether they get a license or not
the trip is great...do not count on hammer heads though as there are not so many.....I dont think this is the place to go for schooling hammerheads (galapagos or cocos instead) but it is great its THE manta place. The boat and crew are superb. Say hi to Mike Judith and everyone else from Georgia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom