Four Fish to identify...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver0008

New
Reaction score
Capture.JPG

Capture 2.JPG

Capture 3.JPG

Capture 5.JPG

1 is a yellowmouth grouper, although it's very difficult to tell the difference between a yellowmouth and a gag.

2 is a Coney

3 is a Jack,

4 is a black margate.

Last edited:
Thanks Wookie. I knew the Jack, but had never seen one that bronzish colour before.

Thanks Wookie. I knew the Jack, but had never seen one that bronzish colour before.
It's shaped like an AJ or a Bar Jack, but you are right, the color is off. Were these shot in the Gulf of Mexico?

It's shaped like an AJ or a Bar Jack, but you are right, the color is off. Were these shot in the Gulf of Mexico?
bar jacks tend to turn dark blackish when they are pack hunting with other species. There is a few fish in the background so i claim the bar jack is just waiting for them to flush some food out from under a coral head.

Is that last one a variation of what they called a "Look Down" when I was in Texas?

I would label that an Almaco Jack due to it's color. It's def not a bar jack, as it has no bar!

bar jacks tend to turn dark blackish when they are pack hunting with other species. There is a few fish in the background so i claim the bar jack is just waiting for them to flush some food out from under a coral head.

Very interesting. That may be precisely the case. Here is a wider shot of the scene:

Capture7.JPG

They were all very interested in the eel's nook.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom