found water in 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rinsing or soaking the regs while not under pressure. Water can enter from the yoke or din cap, or through the second stage.

Open the ports and look to see if you can see corrosion or verdigris. If its clean just pressurize it and blow the water out. Rinse under pressure in the future.

There are many possibilities but Dave hit on the highest probability.

If it flooded with salt water, I'd take it one step further: I'd deliberately dribble fresh water into the tank inlet and blast it through the reg a half cc at a time. First with the LP ports plugged and the HP open, and then with the HP plugged and the LP open. Do it a dozen times. The verdigris that will grow if you don't is scary.

Frankly, if it were my reg and it was salt water I'd take it apart, clean and dry it, and put it back together

Apeks xl4 plus

I dived yesterday

today I was swapping the 2nd stage hose and found water in the 1st stage cavity

any idea how?
Can you describe what you found in more detail? You're talking about removing a LP hose from the 1st stage, and water came out of the port where the hose was? Was it a lot of water, like was the IP chamber (where all the LP ports are connected) completely flooded? Was there any water in your SPG?

Can you describe what you found in more detail? You're talking about removing a LP hose from the 1st stage, and water came out of the port where the hose was? Was it a lot of water, like was the IP chamber (where all the LP ports are connected) completely flooded? Was there any water in your SPG?

Thanks for asking in detail

I found water in both ends
the first stage cavity area - not a lot - a few ml
Also found water in the hose side that connects to the second stage ( I have an elbow joint)

I also removed the wireless transmitter hose - there was no water there

Thanks for asking in detail

I found water in both ends
the first stage cavity area - not a lot - a few ml
Also found water in the hose side that connects to the second stage ( I have an elbow joint)

I also removed the wireless transmitter hose - there was no water there
I would check the 1st stage filter to see if it looks like there has been any water intrusion in the HP section of the 1st stage. If you are able to easily remove the filter, you can look inside underneath the filter for any sign that water has been in there. If not, then probably it traveled down the hose from the 2nd stage, and the fact that the HP port underneath the transmitter was dry is a good sign.

I'm not sure if you specified whether this is salt or fresh water. If fresh, just blow some air out all the LP ports by removing the hoses and any remaining LP ports, connecting to a tank, and opening the valve. Things will get very cold quickly, so just a few seconds of air, close, repeat a few times, and you should be good. I would then connect the hoses again and run some air through the 2nd stage hose that was flooded.

If it's salt water, you might try getting some clean fresh water in the LP section of the 1st stage, just take everything off and orient it so you basically dip that section of the 1st stage in water while keeping the HP section elevated out of the water, if that makes any sense. Then blow dry air from a tank through with everything disconnected as before. I'd soak the whole 2nd stage and hose (disconnected) in clean fresh water and then blow air through it as well.

If there is any evidence of salt water drying in the HP side of the 1st stage, or you're just worried about that, you can just rebuild the 1st stage. It's up to you. Probably the water came up the hose from the 2nd stage, meaning it was submerged and the purge depressed or there's a seat-saver that separates the seat from the orifice in the 2nd stage.

Unfortunately Apeks filters are one time use only, you push it out you most often break it, it cracks.

Back
Top Bottom