Found this...any ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jersey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not diving, but found this in the water line during my beach run yesterday. Extreme low tide, Hurricane Sandy made landfall only 30 miles or so north and we recently completed a beach replenishment so my guess it was underwater and got stirred up. To give some perspective the plastic bottle is 10 1/4 inches tall, it's probably 6 inches or more front to back and I'd guess 12-15 pounds. I'm guessing vertebra from a whale, maybe fossilized, the processes appear to be ground down or chipped at edges, no idea how much, not a biologist and I would greatly appreciate any educated guesses. I brought it home and it's now sitting on my front deck. Thanks!

Attachments

• vertebra.jpg
    vertebra.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 421
I guessed the same before I read your post.

… I'm guessing vertebra from a whale…

I had a couple of friends who had one for end tables in the 1960s. One guy was a Marine Biology grad student at Hopkins Marine Lab in Pacific Grove and that’s what he said it was, though I don’t recall what type of whale his was from. Yours is smaller but about the same shape.

Thanks all! Thought it may be an old prop, till I got close and saw the spinal canal. Many many moons ago I was a Bio major focus on marine sciences until organic chem and my social life collided. Still love marine science and the wonders that often get washed up on my little patch of paradise especially winter months.

Great find. Jealous here.

Back
Top Bottom