Found 4 dead Green Turtles on my Dive yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZenDiver.3D

Rejecting Reality
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
So. Fishing here in Kuwait is not well supervised. The shrimp boats drag the bottom and many animals and plants are damaged. They do have to carry safety features for turtles and dolphins, but.... Many local fishermen, however, are not scrupulous. They drop fish traps on the reefs and use the long hanging nets a soccer field long to fish.

I took my recreational divers on a reef that I had been on three weeks before. There were two massive nets that had gotten hung up on teh reef. These had been drifting a long time. My group volunteered to help cut it away. We only got about 1/4 of the net with a 2 tank dive.

While cutting it up, we found the bones and shells of 4 sea turtles. They were all green turtles. 3 were adults and 1 juvenile. We had been searching for these turltes who nest and live around this island all year. Now we know...

On the only positive notes here, these paying recreational divers, several new divers(students of mine), ALL chose to forgo touring and playing along the wall, and used their mesh gear bags to collect the netting, worked well as teams, and safely cleared lots of reef. They were happy to pay for working. I was very proud of their social conscience and their work.

That is what the world needs more of, hopefully we won't offshore drill in the U.S. That would cause so problems i'm sure. Mask off to those divers for cutting the nets.

That is terrible to hear about the turtles...however as you said, it is great that the divers were willing to help out. It sounds like it would be a fun dive even while working. And the good thing is, while it can be very dangerous working with netting underwater, it is not strenuous work. I wish we could have been there.

That is what the world needs more of, hopefully we won't offshore drill in the U.S. That would cause so problems i'm sure. Mask off to those divers for cutting the nets.

Sorry dude, but some of the best diving and salt water fishing in the country is on the rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. I don't know what problems you're worried about.

Great to see the new divers helping to make a difference.

if you think that kind of stuff (turtle killing) is only happening there, think again. I've found a number of beheaded turtles. The local shrimpers chop the "business end" off of them to make them easier to get out of their nets.

and I agree, oil rigs are a great places to dive and fish...the safeguards they have in place make them very eco-friendly. How many rigs hit by the last several major hurricanes have become problems?

I happy there are instructors like you out there. Thank you for the work you and your students did. We need more people like you.

(Sorry - forgot my username / pw and now I have to get 5 posts in before I can send a URL thru).

Yeah, let's quit the oil drilling. We don't really need the deisel fuel You can always ride your windmill or solar panels out to the reefs and wrecks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom