Fossils and lionfish hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My dive buddy and I are looking for a long weekend destination in FL. Fossil hunting sounds interesting (but not with the current red tide reports). We would also like to hunt lionfish. Is this a good area to spear the little b@st@rds? What is the typical viz and what is fish life like?

I know there are plenty of lionfish on the SE Coast of FL. We've been over to the Venice area a couple times for Megalodon Teeth and didn't see any Lionfish. Vis was only 3-5, maybe 10' at best. Not a ton to see besides hunt Megs! Blue water is further out 15 miles plus?! Haven't been out that far on the West side of FL but I hear of plenty of folks that go spearfishing over there. On the SE side, nice blue water is close to shore w/the gulf stream so close down there.

... Is this a good area to spear the little b@st@rds? ..
There are some LF's on the seldom visited Venice/Sarasota sites but most gulf side LF's are near the panhandle.
Viz changes day to day in that area, so don't take reports too serious. And deeper doesn't always mean better viz, many time shallow can be top to bottom. It really takes a good captain with local contacts and knowledge to get to the best spots.

I have heard of lionfish on this coast. I have not yet seen lionfish on this coast. Vis will also vary throughout the year. What time of year are you looking at coming?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom