Fort Wetherill, RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Am thinking of shore diving there in July, seeking info. Is solo diving allowed? Parking easy and close to entry? Any particularly good spot where I could get 30' depth and decent viz? Any other info. that may be nice to have? Thanks in advance.

This is a very easy dive site. There are two entry points. The boat ramp on the right and a stepper hill to the left. Viz is decent when there are no classes. It is also possible to dive out and around to the other entry point. Later in the summer you will see tropical fish at this site. You will get 30 feet of depth. My buddy and I dive this site frequently. Send me a message when you are coming if you are interested in a partner.

Where is the site? What is the name?

Where is the site? What is the name?

Fort Wetherill Jamestown, RI. On the west shore of the East Passage. Probably the most dived site in RI.

Found it, I was looking in the wrong place. Can I park there being from out of state? Any information about the site at Horsehead point? Is there a way to do that from the beach or would I be better off going in by kayak? There is also a pier or remains of an old bridge at the west end of the Jamestown bridge. Is there any reason to dive there? Any information about Ft Getty park? Can I put a kayak in there and dive Dutch island?

Yes, there's a large parking area open to the public that anyone can park in. On the weekends it does get busy. A lot of the local dive shops and even some of the out of state instructors use this site for their open water dives. I have dove Horsehead point from a kayak. It is not accessible by land as far as I know. I have not dove Fort Getty but my buddy has. There are many places around Jamestown to put a kayak in so it should not be an issue. The pier at the base of the old bridge still has the construction buoys and is not accessible as a shore dive. Beavertail state park is a very nice dive (also in Jamestown) although it is difficult to get in and out. If you go over the bridge into Newport I would recommend King's Beach or Gooseberry Beach. There are many very nice sites for shore diving in this area. There is plenty of parking at each of these sites.

Found it, I was looking in the wrong place. Can I park there being from out of state? Any information about the site at Horsehead point? Is there a way to do that from the beach or would I be better off going in by kayak? There is also a pier or remains of an old bridge at the west end of the Jamestown bridge. Is there any reason to dive there? Any information about Ft Getty park? Can I put a kayak in there and dive Dutch island?

Richkeller, scubabudie is right on the mark in his post. Ft Getty is open to the public. There is a fee to enter. There is easy access to launch a kayak and it's a short 1/2 mile paddle to Dutch Island. The east side northern end of the island has a drop off to about 50fsw with a rocky wall that ends on a sandy bottom. The current running thru there can be very strong and slack is the best time to dive. The southern end still east side is more sloping to the bottom. There is also a barge wreck off the southern tip of the island about 1/2 mile to the south it is marked by buoys and is a good dive if you hit the vis right. If you like a challenge Beavertail point is a beautiful dive site that has deeper water stronger currents and more ocean swells on the East side than the West side which is the West Passage. There are usually some very big Tog and stripers that inhabit the East side. The bottom is about 80fsw but if you look you'll find deeper spots, you can hit your limit there whatever is it up to 200fsw. The East Passage is I think the deepest natural channel to a bay on the east coast but I could be mistake. It is deep however. The wreck Cape Fear in the East Passage is almost 170fsw and it is almost a shore dive! There are many interesting dives here in RI and a lot of them are easy. Newport, Gooseberry Island is a great dive. There are 2 natural underwater arches on the south west end of the island that are beautiful photo shots when the vis is good, and the vis can be very good there. I had almost 30' vis there last June! It also attracts many varied species of fish and of course BUGS. On the east side of the island there is a huge rock on the bottom in about 30fsw that the inside was ground away and looks like a giant bowl. Gooseberry is accessible from Green Bridge Cove and is about 1/2 mile paddle. Also from Green Bridge Cove is Prices Neck a former AAA gun range area for the US Navy. There are still 40MM AAA shells to be found there, I found one last year.
Kings Beach is also an easy launch point, from there Seal Rock about 600 yards to the south west, it can be seen from the beach. Price Neck can also be accessed from Kings Beach. If you need more info PM me these have been my stomping grounds for 4 decades. Dive RI!

You used to be able to launch from the beach at the east end of South Ferry road, between the Oceanography School and the EPA/NOAA complexes. Don't know if you still can.

We used to also really like Indian Rock in Narraganset (off the east end of Hazard Ave.) as well as State Pier #5.

You used to be able to launch from the beach at the east end of South Ferry road, between the Oceanography School and the EPA/NOAA complexes. Don't know if you still can.

We used to also really like Indian Rock in Narraganset (off the east end of Hazard Ave.) as well as State Pier #5.

I'm pretty sure South Ferry Road is No Parking at the end now. I remember divng there, lots of Quahogs and sometimes Togs. Never dived Hazard Ave. Newton Ave the next street down the road is where I've dived often. Whale rock between Bonnet shores and Beavertail point is spearfshing heaven. Also more than a few wrecks there or what's left of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom