Fort Wetherill Clumsiness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Medic0506

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The buddy I was diving with on sunday at Fort Wetherill is a bit clumsy and lost a weight pocket (with weight in it) around the area of the island (from what we can tell). If anyone happens to see it, it would be greatly appreciated if you could pick it up for him (don't worry about the weights). Thanks guys I (and more importantly he) appreciates any help.

The Ft Wetherill dive gods demand ritual sacrifices of dive gear. Attempting to reclaim a properly offered sacrifice is blasphemy! If the vis is bad on your next dive at Wetherill, it will be because the dive gods have been offended by your false offering!

Either that or because it was windy the day before. :D

Haha. Well after we rounded the island he was wondering why he was all off balance to one side. The sacrafice was, unfortunately, not properly done. Therefore, I am attempting to reclaim his sacrafice in order to perform it by the book. Side note: This was my first time actually getting to the island. I've dove Wetherill lots of times but never have gone east cove to west. What is the depth on the ocean side of the island (seemed to drop pretty deep)? And any cool, have-to-see stuff out there?

I've been down to 100 fsw over there and it was still going. I ran out of line on my diveflag, so that was as deep as I could go. There's a great wall covered with white anemonies, but it's best between 60 and 70 fsw. I was just going deeper to see how far down it went.

Thats a donate gear to the Island god area. Feel lucky he accepted a weight pocket. Occasionally, he has an auction on ebay to buy the items back.

Wait till you dive Beavertail; we donate all sorts of gear there and Onefin became Zerofin in a seconds notice but the god allowed us to exit safely after the waves picked up considerably and washed us safely over the rocks.

The Hazard Ave god is most fierce and got very angry when RIO would not donate his dive computer and actually spit us out violently onto the rocks.

I've been down to 100 fsw over there and it was still going. I ran out of line on my diveflag, so that was as deep as I could go. There's a great wall covered with white anemonies, but it's best between 60 and 70 fsw. I was just going deeper to see how far down it went.

If you are deeper than 100', why on earth do you need a flag on the surface? It's no like any boat could hit you! Why not just drag the flag below the surface (assuming you have enough weight to do it)? Of course you will need a flag if you have to surface in a hurry, but 100' line should give plenty of warning to any boaters. The flag will pop up when you ascend past 100' mark.

I can see that this would be foolish where big lumbering barges move about, but Fort Whetherill is not such place.

If I am missing something obvious, please tell me.

I've only dropped to about 95ft there, but if you look at the chart it appears to drop to around 105ft a short way of the SE corner of the wall (chart is at mean low water).

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    55.7 KB · Views: 174
I had the flag with me. What was I supposed to do with it? My flag has quite a bit of buoyancy, and I can't make myself negative enough to "drag it with me".

I had two choices, either abandon the flag or turn the dive. I chose to keep the flag, since there wasn't really any reason to be down there anyway.

Oh the bevertail god has taken a backup light from me and, in normal bevertail-god-like fashion, increased the seas and spit me out at the little rock beach. RIO thanks for the bath map.

Back
Top Bottom