Fort Bragg diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith.M

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I am going to be in Fort Bragg 7/13 - 7/16 with diving availability on the 14th and 15th.

Looking for recommendations on where to go, what to look out for and hopefully, someone to dive with!

Any information is appreciated.

Hopefully the swell models look as good next week as they look right now!

cdip4.png

Abalone season is closed in July. Are you planning on Scuba or freediving?

Hey Akimbo, thanks for the response. I am looking to Scuba.

The easiest access for beach diving is probably of Van Damme State Park in Little River. A nice campground is across Highway 1.
I agree, Van Damme is about as easy beach access as you could ask for. Another option for fairly easy beach access is Caspar Beach. Either spot is a fairly protected cove. Both are sandy bottom in the center and a bit of a kick out to get to interesting rock formations.

Van Damme has a rocky reef that extends from the point across from the beach in a semi circle to the south. You can see some wash rocks that poke out of the water as it wraps around.The depth out near the wash rocks is about 30- 40'.

Caspar has rocky formations on both the north and south banks of the cove. Most divers kicking out, go to the south side of the cove. You start to get into rocky beds past the first little point on the south (still shallow at 10-12'). Past the first beds it starts to get deeper 30-40' if you kick your way out.

There are generally rock fish and ling cod at either spot if you are bringing a speargun!

Another option for fairly easy beach access is Caspar Beach.

Except for parking. It won't be too bad with Ab season closed though. Caspar Beach is also across the street from a nice campground. BTW, both sites are good for kayaking too.

Back
Top Bottom