Form of Dr.'s approval?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djcheburashka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Many people are asked to provide a Dr.'s letter saying that they can safely dive.

Is there an example form of these letters somewhere around?

That RSTC statement is not good enough for me. I ask the diver if they have any contraindication to diving. If they state that they do, we tell them to get a letter from their doctor, on the physicians letterhead, stating that the doctor is aware of the contraindication to diving, that the doctor understands the contraindication, and the doctor approves the diver to dive and any limitations the doctor puts on the diver diving with that particular contraindication.

So far it has worked to shift the liability from me to the doctor. :D

So if someone books a trip with you, they show up, you give them the medical form, they check a box and hand you that PADI form... You tell them they can't dive and give them their money back?

So if someone books a trip with you, they show up, you give them the medical form, they check a box and hand you that PADI form... You tell them they can't dive and give them their money back?

We don't even allow them to book, but to answer your question, yes. If they were to show up with that form instead of a doctors letter on letterhead, we would do exactly that. And have. Same as we do when someone tries to change the release. We immediately refund them and help them with their bags off the boat.

It's primarily to remove liability from the operator. It's best to just mark NO on all the questions. I still use the one I had the doctor sign about five years ago. I just made copies with the date covered and reprint just the current date. Works ever time. If the dive shop knew all the stuff I have going on medically they wouldn't let me withing a hundred yards of their parking lot let alone take me out for some dives.

The thing about this thread is it shows how little any of these forms have to do with safety.

The operator of the spree says - with a proud smirk - that the purpose of his form is to shift liability on to doctors. He does *not* use them, apparently, to make sure he takes appropriate action regarding the passengers' physical condition.

The spree waiver purports to relieve the spree of liability for it's own negligence-like if the captain happens to be drunk and turn on the engine while you're trying to get back on the boat, they want to make sure they don't have to pay a cent. Nice.

Those forms fortunately aren't enforceable in most places. I hope they're not enforceable in Florida either.

And you can see how the divers respond-by lying on the forms! (p.s.: if anyone over 40 clicks "no" on all of those lines, they're lying.)

The net result is that everyone is less safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom