Force Fins Pro personal review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been coming up with a list of things Force Fins aren't disputed to be best for.
1. walking in fins (one of the reasons Chatterton loves em)
2. people who have issues with normal fins due to muscle/skeletal issues

I think you are missing a 3rd major group

3. Competitive Swimmers- as the kick technique and stroke used in Force Fins so closely matches that of a swimmer without fins, a well trained swimmer loves them.

I think force fins have now replaced split fins on the "jets vs _____" drama ladder.

I think a larger and larger group of people are simply replacing their splits and jets with Force Fins and they ignore the drama

I think a larger and larger group of people are simply replacing their splits and jets with Force Fins and they ignore the drama

Maybe, but at least in Norway, it goes the other way, and people replace FF and splits with Jets (or similar), but they also alter their swimstyle from scissor to frog.

I do however always look for a better fin, and have gone from Technisub Stratos, to FF Pro, to FF Extra, to SP Jets, and now have the Hollis F1 (which suits me best so far), and have ordered the OMS Slipstream for travelling.

On my to do list is the Excellerating FF, and the FF SD1, but I have never had the chance to try those...

Maybe, but at least in Norway, it goes the other way, and people replace FF and splits with Jets (or similar), but they also alter their swimstyle from scissor to frog.

Like computer tech, the "power users" in scuba define the direction of the sport to an extent. Whether its air to nitrox, mixed gasses, etc, etc. They push the envelope and the best ideas filter down to the rest of us.

In my opinion, fins that can frog/back kick efficiently are an inevitable direction now.

I am one of those who went from splits to FFPros. I admit that it was purely random. I had read about FF before I bought a pair of Atomic Splits, but wrote the FF off as too expensive. Then I found someone selling his Pros very cheap. I figured what the heck. I tried them a few weeks later and was so impressed with their performance that the FF have become my first choice of fins.

In my opinion, fins that can frog/back kick efficiently are an inevitable direction now.

Back kicking is very easy and effective in Force Fins

Frog Kicking- outside of specific environments, I think frog kicking is a by-product of poorly designed fins being uncomfortable for other kicks, not because its an effective method of moving about.

Back kicking is very easy and effective in Force Fins

Frog Kicking- outside of specific environments, I think frog kicking is a by-product of poorly designed fins being uncomfortable for other kicks, not because its an effective method of moving about.

Are you serious!?!

You sure have some frogkicking to do!!!

Are you serious!?!

You sure have some frogkicking to do!!!

Yes, I am very serious, have you ever tried to hold a DSLR camera in position while in a 4-6 foot surge using a frog kick and actually get usable photos. Much less do the same pushing objects 100 times (or more) that big.

fins_in_use.jpg

Frog Kicking does nothing but keep your HR low, it works against the strong muscles of your legs and can't even provide instant thrust much less constant thrust no matter how low a speed you need. If you are using a Jet fin or a Rocket it may be the best thing going, but if you look at nearly ever new fin on the market, even the manufactures have realized that frog kicking is of little value and are trying to produce better and better fins for flutter, modified flutter, and those fins generally work quite well in helicopter and back kicks.

Frogkicks give a lot more control than scissorkicks. Also, as you say, it keeps your HR low, something at least I feel is beneficial when diving. It also helps to avoid silting.

I have not taken photos with a dslr underwater, but I have shot some video, and I have generally had very good results.

And about pushing heavy objects underwater, I don't have a problem using frogkicks, but if I need extra thrust I use scissorkicks, and for maximum thrust I use dolphinkicks.

The reason why people mainly buy fins intended for scissorkicks is because that is what they were taught by their instructor.

Well, the frog kick originates from a very specific environment/ requirement - it is a non-silting kick.

Previously the penchant of cave and wreck divers, it was then adopted quite universally with the tech sphere....and, recently, like all things 'tech' has found increasing popularity within the wider recreational community.

Frog kicking is efficient, in the sense that all water movement is directed backwards. However, I feel the main reason that it has found general popularity is not because of efficiency, effectiveness (which depends on how you wish to determine 'effect') but simply because it offers a relaxing, controlled and slow-paced diving experience.

Force Fins and Jet Fins are quite comparable in terms of dexterity / maneavorability. Jet Fins offer an advantage in 'raw power' that is beneficial when diving twins in strong water movement. The Scubapro Jets also offer an advantage to drysuit users due to their extremely negative buoyancy characteristics. Force Fins offer an advantage in reduced lower-limb workload.

I doubt that Force vs Jets would ever amount to an arguement on the scale of Jets vs Splits.

Well, the frog kick originates from a very specific environment/ requirement - it is a non-silting kick.

Previously the penchant of cave and wreck divers, it was then adopted quite universally with the tech sphere....and, recently, like all things 'tech' has found increasing popularity within the wider recreational community.

Frog kicking is efficient, in the sense that all water movement is directed backwards. However, I feel the main reason that it has found general popularity is not because of efficiency, effectiveness (which depends on how you wish to determine 'effect') but simply because it offers a relaxing, controlled and slow-paced diving experience.

sure but Force Fins with a modified bent knee ankle only kick is even less silting, hence the reason the man who was instrumental in developing "tech" diving uses, trains and recommends Force Fins in high silt environments and all diving. BTW- his name is Hal Watts

Force Fins and Jet Fins are quite comparable in terms of dexterity / maneavorability. Jet Fins offer an advantage in 'raw power' that is beneficial when diving twins in strong water movement. The Scubapro Jets also offer an advantage to drysuit users due to their extremely negative buoyancy characteristics. Force Fins offer an advantage in reduced lower-limb workload

ah- this is where is strongly disagree,
Raw Power, Force Fin Pro- 51 lbs of thrust, Jets- 38 lbs. average power from 5 divers
Speed- Force Fins Pro's are averaged 1 second faster in a 20 meter measured distance sprint, correlates with higher static thrust
Buoyancy- Jets <1 lb negative per pair, hardly negative at all, so that argument is bunk
Endurance- show me someone that can swim a mile in under 30 minutes wearing Jets, which is why Navy Seals use the crap out of Force Fins, see picture above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom