For you guys who knows about Poseidon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJW

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello-

I just purchased my Poseidon Jetstream Odin with first stage, 2nd stage, and octo. I tested it recently on my AL80 tank to see if it works well before I go dive. I put on the tank and turned on the tank - both of regs went freeflowing, did I do anything wrong? That was my first trial. After several trials, I finally got it worked somehow.

Is there anything I should do to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks guys in advance!

Once you turn on the tank valve all the way and the reg pressurizes, the free flow will stop. It does that due to the upstream design of the reg. Most regs are downstream design.

DJ

DJ - I tried it again, I let it freeflowing for about a second, it stops. You are right, thanks a lot.

Poseidon regulators increase the interstage pressure as the tank pressure decreases. So if you think about it, when you crack the tank the regs assumes a low tank pressure and the intermediate pressure is so high that it freeflows, so the key with a poseidon is to turn it on a little quicker than you are now. Hope this helps...

ScubaJW:
Hello-

I just purchased my Poseidon Jetstream Odin with first stage, 2nd stage, and octo. I tested it recently on my AL80 tank to see if it works well before I go dive. I put on the tank and turned on the tank - both of regs went freeflowing, did I do anything wrong? That was my first trial. After several trials, I finally got it worked somehow.

Is there anything I should do to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks guys in advance!

hi jw

the second stage jetstream is a upstream reg
meaning that there is a collapsed diaphragm in the second stage
when there is no pressure in the reg
as the intremediate pressure increases to 140 psi.
the diaphragm will inflate locking the pressure in the second stage
as you inhale the pressure in the second stage decreases
the diaphragm will collapse and the air will flow
when you stop drawing air from the reg the pressure increases to inflate the diaphram locking the pressure in the second stage again
this is done by a servo valve under the exhaust diaphragm
the reg will freeflow for a couple of seconds. every time, when you open the valve on your tank
also the reg will freeflow when the tank pressure is below the intermediate pressure of the second stage around 140 psi.
the intermediate pressure is checked on a full tank 3500psi.
and a tank with 290psi.
hope this helps
if you have any more concerns do not hesitate to e-mail me

Back
Top Bottom