For the opinionated among you..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know, I'm not so opinated but have been looking at Palau - the airfare is expensive, but they always get such great reviews by divers.

To save money, I've thought of skimping on accomodations and staying in a bungalow at:

StoryBoard Resort on Peleliu

Apparently in you stay there a week you can get accomodation, 3 meals and 2 dives for $130 per day. Email them for specifics.

Here is a trip report from Rodales with photos:

Rodales Trip report on Peleliu divers / Storyboard Resort

I did enjoy Australia and found it to be fun, inexpensive and have fantastic diving.

In April-May the dwarf Minke Whales start visiting the Barrier Reef and they are very curious towards divers, making several close passes.

Hi Dave, I'm originally from Guam and fly back often so I've learned of a lot of ways to getting cheap flights to Micronesia. $2,000 is crazy from the East Coast. All flights to Palau and Yap, must stop by Guam first. Its an island hopper thing, You'll go from whereever in the east coast, to LA probably, then to Honolulu, then to Guam, then to Yap (flights to Palau stop in Yap), then to Palau. You want to to find a travel agent that is a "consolidator", meaning they buy bulk tickets from continental wholesale and sell it to the public with low profit margins (they make it up on the amount of tickets they sell). One consolidator I know is in Glendale, CA, its called "travelmate", it might be also listed as rock bottom airfares or something like that. Another one is airticketmasters.com, its better to call them though. I flew back in January and got my ticket for about $1,350 which included Guam and Yap. It might be cheaper to book your east coast to west coast tickets separtately through southwest or jetblue or through some specials.

Alternately, you could fly into LA or San Francisco however, then book a ticket to Guam through Asiana airlines for really cheap, like $800–900(sometimes as low as $650). However, there is a 14 hour layover in Korea, but its not too bad, you get there early morning, tour the city, shop or whatever for the day, then head back to the airport in the evening for the Guam flight. For the Asiana ticket, a good consolidator is Mike Lee Travel in Oakland, CA. Then you could book your yap and palau island hopper flights through Continental. I recommend you do that with the consolidators I mentioned, or sometimes Continental on Guam will have good package prices to Yap and Palau, you can call them at 671-647-MIKE(as in air micronesia). You can get all the phone numbers for the consolidators by calling the operators in each city. 510-555-1212 for Oakland, and 626-555-1212 for Glendale.

Yap was a lot of fun... even if there were no mantas, the diving there was excellent, the coral and marine life was really healthy and unspoiled. The mantas were great, we saw them everytime we dove Mi'il channel and they swam about 2 feet above your head. Check out my Yap trip report a few postings down for more info on dive shops and hotels in Yap.

Have fun and good luck!

Hey,

I have also seen an alternative route out to Guam (via Manila I think) from the UK for about $900 - getting to the UK is sometimes cheaper than getting to the west coast, and I have family there so I can stay cheap / do an overnight drinking binge with old friends. How much should it cost (roughly) in your opinion to get to Palau / Yap from Guam?

Apologies for all of the questions,

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom