? For the Experienced St. Thomas Vet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyNoles

Reaction score
This question is for those who have lived and dived there, or have in-depth knowledge of the area.

A group of us are going down for 10 days later this year for a top-side vacation. We are staying in one of the very few houses that sit right on the ocean. It is very near the Ritz Carlton, per the map. The name of the house is Casa Bougainvillea, for what that's worth.

My question is this. Two of us love to dive and wondered if there would be a chance of shore diving right off the house itself, or at least in that immediate area? Our landlord states the snorkeling is great, and if you swim out you can find some depth, but he is not a diver and can't really find out much more than that.

Any ideas or guidance? I really appreciate any comments. Also, where would be a good shop to hook up with to get some tanks each day?

Shore diving in general on St. Thomas is very limited. There is is snorkeling near where you are on Great bay but not really any diving. Secret harbor which is around the corner has some snorkeling as well but really to shallow for diving. If you do decide to dive on you own take precautions (dive flag) as there can be some boat and kite surfing traffic in the area.

Coki beach is about the only place I'd suggest for your shore dive and they rent tanks there. It's worth one dive but I'd not really plan on just shore diving.

Instead contact Chris Sawyer Dive Center, you'll find lots of positive comments on the site here abotu them, http://sawyerdive.vi/. They are in the East end, very close to you. I heard that the operation at the Ritz may be changing hands so If you want to dive there call first. If you do go to Chris Sawyer, ask for Zan he's from Dallas and worked at one of the shops there.

Having worked or dove with all the operations on the island I think you'll find the service, boats and equipment very comfortable and the operation top knotch. Dive the Rhone, it's on Friday's and books up, so book it before you go.

If you want to do some west end diving check out blue island divers, blueislanddivers.com/ . It will be a bit of a drive for you so leave plenty of time for an AM dive. They are on the West side at Crown Bay Marina. Also a great operation with a different selection of dives.

Make sure you have a rental car as it's way way to far to walk most places and from where you are.

If you are set on tanks, Chris Sawyer does rent tanks. I believe that Aqua action does to but you'll find their operation pretty small in comparison, but still a good shop.

Chris

PS if you are looking for things to do Pat at Chris Sawyer knows pretty much everyone and everything to do!

I don't know if I would want to dive from that house. I think I know where you're talking about. Check out Coki Beach for a night shore dive, they're awesome there. Pete at www.cokidive.com might be able to help you out.

Aloha,

Shaka Doug

Back
Top Bottom