Follow up questions for woodworkers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm about to start construction of a flag box for my dad's burial flag.

I'm making it from purpleheart which will be finished with clear shallac and a clear UV protection marine varnish.

My question is sanding. Should I hand sand my way through the grits or use a palm sander?

I'm about to start construction of a flag box for my dad's burial flag.

I'm making it from purpleheart which will be finished with clear shallac and a clear UV protection marine varnish.

My question is sanding. Should I hand sand my way through the grits or use a palm sander?

Yes?

Typing on phone with a screaming toddler lol.

It should say hand sand or use the palm sander?

Normally, given how little wood is needed to make a flag box I would probably cut my different sandpaper grits into strips to fit a sanding block and just run through the grits by hand, but given how hard Purpleheart wood is it makes sense to break out the palm sander to make the work go quicker and perhaps do the final few passes by hand. I also probably wouldn't go finer than 220 grit...so a few passes of 80 to 100 grit, then a few passes of 150 grit, a few passes of 180 grit, and then a few passes of 220 grit. Personally I prefer a polyurethane or varnish based wood finish to shellac, it tends to be a more durable finish. Be sure to wear a mask, the dust from purpleheart wood can cause serious irritation of the lungs, nose, mouth, and eyes.

-Z

Waterborne (water-based) polyurethanes are similar to shellac in looks, durability (i.e. sufficient for this purpose) and low toxicity, but are less tricky to apply.

If the wood is in good shape just do the 220 grit, only use the low grit if you have marks/damage in the wood. I am a believer in more power so the palm sander works for me but hand sanding is OK.

Waterborne (water-based) polyurethanes are similar to shellac in looks, durability (i.e. sufficient for this purpose) and low toxicity, but are less tricky to apply.

Water born does not have UV protection hence why I have to shallac as the shallac provides protection from the oil based UV protection coat, this is purple heart so UV protection is perimount.

I know the toxicity of ssnding,... I used to wearing mask,..lol

Water born does not have UV protection hence why I have to shallac as the shallac provides protection from the oil based UV protection coat, this is purple heart so UV protection is perimount.

You might take a look at a Marine Spar Varnish, I like the look of th finish over shellac, and iit has uv protection.

And it paramount, like the movie company, in case you want to use the word in the pub.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom