Follow the fumblings of a ten thumbed rookie.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Im trying to learn my new 5060. I knew I was in trouble when it had directions on how to unpack it....Im gonna need a lot of help here folks. Any start up tips?

Leave the paper manual in the box and get out the full manual on the CD. That's where your info is. Take that CD to Office Depot or wherever, and get them to print it out for you. Much easier to read anywhere.

Take one thing at a time a learn to do that one thing well. Better to be really good at one thing than half a$$ed at it all.:D Been there!

Practice...Practice...Practice...Practice...Practice...Practice...

I have made it to the point that I can take and get rid of pics. The CD thing is a great tip. Thanks. Keep em coming.

I gotta figure out the case too. It's book is as big as the cameras! Doing a manta night dive on friday, Gotta get it by then.

Ok, First things first, learn to seal the case correctly. You need to use the lubricant provided on the O rings, but don't get nuts with it, a thin coating only. Also make sure the O rings are clean and free of sand and debris of any kind. A small thread from a towel you use to dry the case is enough to cause a leak if it falls across the O rings boundry. Second, Although this is going to be a night dive, it is a good rule of thumb to keep the camera housings temp as close to water temp as possible. This will prevent fogging the lens when you enter the water.

Do you have an external strobe or just the one on the camera? If you have an external, depending on what housing you are using you may need to use the strobe in pre-flash to get it to time correctly. With your internal strobe only you may have trouble illuminating large subjects so you may just get what is in the beam of your dive lights. If you know that, great, you can compensate and or you can use it to your advantage by using the dive lights illumination to help you with your shot! You might bring two dive lights, one with a difuser lens in it and one without. This give you a wider illumination but not as bright and then one that is brighter that might draw attention to a particualar area of the image.

It is not as powerful as a strobe but alot cheeper!

DM

Cool. No external strobe yet. Thats a whole nuther lesson. What should I look for in a strobe?
Keep the tips coming!

Off the bat:
Test the housing before you put the camera in it. If it's water tight on the trail run, then it should be good when you put it in.
Be sure to only use olympus o ring grease. If you use "the wrong" grease it might swell or stretch (I learned the hard way).

I picked the inon D-180 strobe because it's low profile and the setting options

Got er greased up and tested. The camera has it's default settins and the battery is fully charged...One question (for the moment) For low light and/or night dives what do I do with the defuser? (sp Im sure) Leave it in or pull it? And ( the one question was very short lived) what should I set the strobe on? Thanks guys!

I thought the level was adjustable? No? So what about the diffuser?

I have it set to the original settings - but I think you can only change it when using a slave strobe anyway and in either A-S- or M setting.
The diffuser, I don't take it off. If I remember right you would have even more backscatter without it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom