Fogging in Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2psquared

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Nikon Coolpix 4300 in a fantasea cp4 pro case. I would like some tips on keeping fogging under control. I currently use a product that is called "moisture muncher". These are capsules of a drying agent that you put in the case. The results are "just ok" and the product seems expensive to me and I would like some alternatives.

I use the bulk re-chargeable desiccant from preservesmart. It changes color when it needs to be re-charged which can be done in a microwave or toaster oven.
Another important factor is to load the camera into the housing in a cool or air conditioned environment. That coupled with keeping it out of the sun and heat prior to entering the water with it. I keep mine in a soft beverage cooler which is insulated.
I can leave the cooler in direct sunlight on the deck of my kayak and have no fogging problems.

I have found that if I keep my camera and housing out of airconditioned spaces it doesn't fog. On a live aboard I leave it on the deck in the camera stowage/work area. On a day boatI try to find an un airconditioned place to store if. I have never used anything inside the housing to prevent fogging. So far I have not had fogging trouble.

Joe

Now how's that for two different opinions.....

Joe

I'm with Gilligan. What causes fogging in a housing or on a camera lens? MOISTURE in the air that condenses on the housing, the lens, or inside the camera. No moisture, no condensation, no matter how hot or cold the housing or lens is. The best way to eliminate the moisture is to only open the housing in "DRY" air. It doesn't matter how hot or cold the air is if there is moisture in it. I live on Guam, it's hot and humid, lots of moisture in the air. If you open the housing outside, even if it's hot, you are going to get moisture inside that can lead to fogging. Been there, done that. The driest air you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom