Fogged Lens Repair - BackScatter +15 MacroMate Mini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soloist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a fogged BackScatter +15 MacroMate Mini lens (designed for GoPro cameras). Has anyone experienced a similar issue, have a suggestion on how to clear the lens or potential remedies to try? The lens was purchased several years ago, used a couple of times and stowed away until a few weeks ago. I decided to break it out of retirement to experiment with it in Bonaire. I initially managed to get some acceptable results (see pics) then a few days later I noticed the lens had fogged over and was unusable. Apparently the Bonaire humidity caused condensation between the lenses. I contacted BackScatter (@BackscatterUW) and was informed the lens could not be repaired, but was offered a 20% discount on a new one. No thank you, considering this lens had been in the water less than a dozen times.

Attachments

• 5E4EE691-1BEE-4694-B509-73D0FF521370.jpeg
    5E4EE691-1BEE-4694-B509-73D0FF521370.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 8F269006-E983-48D0-B6CA-67678F68ABDE.jpeg
    8F269006-E983-48D0-B6CA-67678F68ABDE.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 119
I had to throw one of our lenses out for the same reason

I had to throw one of our lenses out for the same reason
Very disappointing. There is a vacuum seal between the two glass optics on the MacroMate assembly, so evidently a design or manufacturing issue exists. Maybe these lenses should be marketed as disposable! Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom