FNG from Central Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SWiggs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Relocated here and finally got into diving. Good thing as there seems to be a few places to dive around this state. Who knew.

Welcome to the sunshine state !! Take this summer to explore the gulf coast diving, the south east coast reefs, and also the springs around/above Gainesville. With everything here, there's almost no way you can't get in a dive anytime you want.

There is a lot to be had in Florida. It's a large and long enough state that not everything will be conveniently in your backyard, but I imagine oceanic diving won't automatically = plane ticket for you as it does for some of us.

For shallow reef diving with nice reef and a good number of fish, some decent sized, I was really pleased with Key Largo (there's more to the Florida Keys; KL is what I dove). It's also got the option for deep wrecks. If you're willing to forgo lush reef and care to focus on 'big stuff' (e.g.: goliath grouper and sharks), there's Jupiter. In between, you've got West Palm Beach and Boynton Beach. Blue Heron Bridge is unique and not far from Jupiter and West Palm Beach. I hear there are wrecks out of Miami, and people dive out of Pompano Beach/Fort Lauderdale.

That's not even getting into Gulf Coast options, and then there are the freshwater springs and caves.You could spent a few years exploring a range of different types of diving before you needed to leave the state to expand your horizons.

Richard.

Welcome!

As a semi-native, you simply can't find a more diverse state for diving.

Thanks everyone. I am blessed to have a solid plan lined up to add a bunch of good dives all around the state this year. Once I have that skill level up there I'll go explore that cave country everyone keeps talking about.

I will say that my first ocean dive I got to see a bull shark and was ecstatic. It has been my favorite shark since I was a child, mainly for that fresh water trick that they like to play. Good luck to everyone on their diving.

Welcome to ScubaBoard. You're in the right state.

Welcome. You're probably a day/half day drive to the Emerald Coast as well. Panama City, Destin, Pensacola, etc. Their boats usually start going out regularly come April.

Back
Top Bottom