Flying with PT-015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcclink

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone actually flown with their PT-015 sealed during the trip, then had a problem opening the housing after the flight? Assuming the atmospheric pressure was the same where the housing was closed & opened (like sea level), it theoretically should not be an issue. I travel with my Gates video housing sealed all the time & never had a problem getting it open.

All my housings are transported with the domes off, so I can't say I've had the problem with them.

But, it happens quite a bit with my Pelican cases. Even starting and ending at sea level, the temperatures, humidity, etc are different.

Perhaps your housing is "burping" out the excess internal pressure at altitude, and squishes shut on the way back to sea level.

All the best, James

I flew to Hawaii in January with mine and did not experience any problems. I had it with me in my carry-on, so maybe the fact that it was in a pressurized cabin was a factor. No problems coming back either.

Remove both the o-rings, label 2 zip locs 'body' and 'door' and store the o-rings inside them. It doesn't take very much time to do this and will save you a lot of trouble should the cabin not be pressurised exactly to when you shut it.

Unless you close your housing at 8000-9000 ft elevation, normal cabin pressure will never be the same as the atmospheric pressure where you closed the housing. From an engineering/design standpoint there does no appear to be a need to do anything to a housing just because you're taking it for a plane ride. I am a firm believer in "if it isn't broke don't fix it" as in don't mess the o-rings unless you have to. I'm looking for actual experiences regarding problems opening the housing. Lots of different opinions out there & lots of personal preferences, but what are the scientific facts.

jcclink:
Unless you close your housing at 8000-9000 ft elevation, normal cabin pressure will never be the same as the atmospheric pressure where you closed the housing. From an engineering/design standpoint there does no appear to be a need to do anything to a housing just because you're taking it for a plane ride. I am a firm believer in "if it isn't broke don't fix it" as in don't mess the o-rings unless you have to. I'm looking for actual experiences regarding problems opening the housing. Lots of different opinions out there & lots of personal preferences, but what are the scientific facts.
I know lots of people who've had problems opening their housing after flying with the orings in place and the door shut. Besides, I don't think taking the o-rings out qualifies as a "if it isn't broke don't fix it". It's a small prevention step that'll save you a hassle.
BTW, I've had the instance where I couldn't open the PT-015 even without flying with it. In this case it was stored for 2 weeks with the o-ring in place and the door shut.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom