Flying with an underwater housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ash176

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, I would like to find out the general consensus on their normal practice when flying with an underwater housing. Reason I'm asking is because I just got me a Fantasea underwater housing and the shop that sold me the housing told me to remove the o-ring when I fly for fear that the housing will shut itself tight and to open it will be very difficult.

Any thoughts about this? Thank you

Yes leave the case open when flying. The pressure change can create a strong vacuum like force making it difficult to open when you land.

If the o ring is in and the case is closed/locked and you leave it that way you will be fine. If you open it on the plane it will somewhat forcefully pop open. If you close it on the plane, you are screwed, you will have to return to an elevation of 8000 feet, our what ever the plane was pressurized at when you closed it, in order to equalize the pressure so you don't have to pry it open.

Personally, i remove oring, and prop it open for flight. My old pelican hard case for my Nikonos had a screw to release/equalize pressure. That camera stayed closed with the o ring in place and i never had a problem with it developing a squeeze.

I normally remove the O-ring from my housing only if flying with a port connected.

For compact housings where the only O-ring is on the back door then I would remove it, pop it into a small plastic bag and store it inside the housing during the flight.

I have a Fantasea housing also. Their recommendation is to leave everything as is (i.e. don't remove o-rings) and just put a small piece of paper between the door and the housing and close it like normal. This little wedge is all that's necessary to help equalize pressure while keeping everything closed. I just rip off like a 3-inch by 3-inch piece from some larger sheet and use that.

I've never taken the o-rings out of my housing or lights when flying. I always carry on my camera equipment, and I never open anything while flying. It's never been a problem. One of my instructors told me that he had to check one of his wife's lights recently and he took the batteries out, but then sealed everything back up and due to the lack of pressurization in the luggage hold, it popped, blew the o-ring, and caused the light to flood, so he he now always takes the o-rings out of everything, just in case he has to check something.

I've always taken the main o rings out of my housing if not using for a while and travel with the door slightly open.
I have a friend who says he was playing with a new housing during a flight, closed it and could not get it open after he landed at his dive destination. I don't know if this is true or apocryphal, but I have always thought it theoretically possible and travel accordingly.

There is an old thread from a guy who locked his case while at altitude.

search, "Stupidly locked my case"

I have never removed the orings during flights nor have I ever opened a case during a flight. Mines been fine so far

Thanx guys for the overwhelming responses. I really appreciate it. Seems like there's different school of thoughts with regards to the matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom