Flying with 2 people's gear....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morgan_5

Registered
Reaction score
I am in desperate need of advise.... me and my boyfriend are flying to Coz through Delta at the end of August. Of course we are going diving and are bringing our own gear. Packing the gear has been the biggest struggle for me. Ideally I want to put both BCs, fins, booties, masks, snorkels, and both of our mesh bags in a suitcase and check it. And, put our regs and computers in our carry on (can't risk something happening to those). Does anyone have a recommendation on a bag or suitcase that will fit 2 people's gear?

What I'm working with is:
Back inflate BC
Back plate and wing
4 fins
2 masks
2 snorkels
2 mesh dive bags

We pack exactly that way when we travel to coz. So far, no problem although the suitcase is pretty heavy and so it kind of sucks if you get selected for bag search in coz (happened to me last time). We use American Tourister "Ilite Max" suitcases. We got ours at the local AAA office, but I'm sure you could find them elsewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H5VAJKW This, except mine is black and my wife's is purple... and we paid slightly less than amazon wants.

Two sets of gear in one bag? Why would you want to do that? By spreading your gear between two bags, if the airline loses one of them, at least one of you still has gear, and only one of you will need to rent gear until if and when the other bag shows up. For this reason, my wife and I intentionally distribute our gear (and clothing) among two checked bags and our carry-ons.

I have this one and think it will hold what your are trying to pack.... just wonder about the weight limit of 50 lbs. The fin pockets will each hold a pair.

Explorer II Collection: Roller

My wife and I place our gear in a roll duffle...and check it. We carry on Regs and such...any durable duffle will do....all our clothes go into a second duffel and that’s checked as well.

Two sets of gear in one bag? Why would you want to do that? By spreading your gear between two bags, if the airline loses one of them, at least one of you still has gear, and only one of you will need to rent gear until if and when the other bag shows up. For this reason, my wife and I intentionally distribute our gear (and clothing) among two checked bags and our carry-ons.

I'm really glad you brought that up because that scenario never crossed my mind!

weight limit of 50 lbs
Does delta have a 50lb limit? I fly American when I go to Coz and the limit is 70. We're usually pretty close to that. However, we don't try to pack light.. not at all.

@Morgan_5 you'll want to get one of those portable luggage scales. No big deal to weigh your luggage at home, but you'll either be borrowing a scale or using a "pay scale" at the hotel when you're getting ready to return. They're pretty inexpensive.

Does delta have a 50lb limit? I fly American when I go to Coz and the limit is 70. We're usually pretty close to that. However, we don't try to pack light.. not at all.

@Morgan_5 you'll want to get one of those portable luggage scales. No big deal to weigh your luggage at home, but you'll either be borrowing a scale or using a "pay scale" at the hotel when you're getting ready to return. They're pretty inexpensive.

I just looked and Delta is 50lbs. And I just added one of those on my Amazon list to order!

I pack the same for myself as I do with my wife, we have nearly identical suitcases.

I happen to use a 29" Travelpro Maxlite spinner. It weighs just over 8 lbs, leaving at least 40 lbs for packing. I have never had a problem staying under the 50 pound limit. I pack my fins, mask, BC, wetsuit for conditions, hooded vest, booties, mesh backpack, and accessories (light(s), cutting, gloves...). In addition, I pack the majority of my clothes. There's always room left over for other stuff, coat, raincoat, etc.

I pack regs, computer, camera, toiletries, swimsuit, some clothes, and all personal items in a small, light spinner carryon and a backpack. On occasion, I have arrived without my main suitcase and do fine for a day. The backpack generally gets use after arrival.

I use a digital luggage scale to check the weight of my main back, my carryon, when needed, or my total luggage weight. This has saved me aggravation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom