Flying Scuba Tank Smashes Into Transfer Station

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where's the facepalm smiley when we need it?

How friggin' hard would it have been for the jackass that dumped the tank to have just cracked the valve? At least if you're gonna dump something in a place you're not supposed to dump it, you can at least contribute a twist of the wrist to increasing public safety by de-rocketifying the damn thing. Can say the same for the people that handled the tank later, but in their defense, they had no idea what would come out if they did that.

Sheesh.

I saw a nice size whole in the side of a USN ship due to improper handling of a tank. (Larger than a dive tank, but still...) Let it be a lesson in safe handling (and disposal) of such items.

No employees were in the office at the time.

Makes one wonder how it got knocked over. I picture the office pet, perhaps a cat, getting the bejabbers scared out of it.

A few years ago I was at my town transfer station and saw a tank in the metals pile. I stopped, picked it up, cracked the valve, and it was under pressure so I put it into the back and went home figuring I could save the valve anyway. At the house I drained it down, took a look inside and it was nice and clean, $20 later it was in Hydro.

The tank was an early 70's aluminum 72 which was used for many years in the shop and yard for filling tires and pool toys etc. I traded it last year to a caver for a steel 72 which is easier to get filled then an old aluminum.

By the way, the last vis sticker on the tank was 20 years old which was just about how much it was out of hydro when I got it.

Here's a couple of pictures of scuba tanks failing suddenly not pretty.

Attachments

• tank_blo_small.jpg
    tank_blo_small.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 268
  • alitank3.jpg
    alitank3.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 137
Holly Crap! Looks like he got hit by a roadside bomb :shocked2::shocked2:

I used to hit camping propane cylinders with a .243 at 200 yards, now that is an explosion.

When I was in high school, someone knocked over an oxygen bottle, and it went threw several brick walls, and could have killed someone in the principal office if she was at her desk.

Do a search on YouTube for oxy-actylene explosions, not pretty.

When I load my cylinders in my truck, I always put the valve facing the cab because if someone rear-ends me, they will get a little surprise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom