Flying Gurnard Fin Hydrodynamics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A new video of mine with a flying gurnard, filmed in Zamboanguita, Philippines. Plus, hydrodynamic speculation about the role of its unusual fins. I am proposing that they act as "wings", just like the "wings" of much larger manta rays do, because the gurnard is so close to the boundary layer. Does this make sense? Feedback appreciated!

I was very happy to find two of these on a single dive, they are rare even in muck diving central southern Negros Island.

I take it these are variable in color (as is the case with many fishes), or perhaps at different life stages.

Yes, the markings change between juveniles and adults, I am not sure about geographic variations, not unlikely.

I take it these are variable in color (as is the case with many fishes), or perhaps at different life stages.

Back
Top Bottom