Flying after diving. Researchers could use your help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocVikingo

Rest in Peace
Reaction score
The Diving Diseases Research Centre Healthcare in the UK is conducting on-going research into a broad range of health issues, and in 2016 have turned their attention to flying after diving. They are interested in finding out more about divers who fly after a dive trip. If you are a diver who travels by air after a dive trip, whether you have suffered DCI symptoms or not, they’d like to hear from you -- www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/YF9SPXJ

Cheers,

DocVikingo

Done! One minor issue: there's an incorrectly coded mandatory follow-on response to the question about dive physicals. It's mandatory if you choose "yes," but if you choose "no," you're still required to provide information. If no, just add n/a in the box.

Any idea how long they're collecting survey data?

the question about alcohol assumes you can only drink in the airport or on the plane.

The survey was also announced in the Undercurrent November update. I did the survery, I don't believe they asked for any contact information, how will we be informed of the results?

Since when is the departure airport important?
And how much time do most divers take between diving and flying? I am curious :wink:
Never had dci issues happely, and my time between diving and flying was 13-30 hours, all after multiple diving days and most times after technical dives.

Since when is the departure airport important?

Maybe altitude? E.g., China's Daocheng Yading Airport is at an elevation of 14,472' above sea level; the Dead Sea airport (Queen Alia) is at -1,349'.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

Hi Jill,

One minor issue: there's an incorrectly coded mandatory follow-on response to the question about dive physicals. It's mandatory if you choose "yes," but if you choose "no," you're still required to provide information. If no, just add n/a in the box.

Questions regarding this questionnaire may be directed to the Research Department at DDRC Healthcare: email - research@ddrc.org; phone - 01752 209999; web - www.ddrc.org .

Any idea how long they're collecting survey data?

The DDRC has been studying various aspects of the effects of diving on human physiology since 1980. The present survey is expected to remain open for some time yet. The director of this project, Dr. Gary Smerdon, can be contacted at research@ddrc.org . He should be able to provide a more precise answer.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

Hi Jill,

Questions regarding this questionnaire may be directed to the Research Department at DDRC Healthcare: email - research@ddrc.org; phone - 01752 209999; web - www.ddrc.org .

The DDRC has been studying various aspects of the effects of diving on human physiology since 1980. The present survey is expected to remain open for some time yet. The director of this project, Dr. Gary Smerdon, can be contacted at research@ddrc.org . He should be able to provide a more precise answer.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

Thanks, Doc. I'll email them tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom