Fly like an eagle ...and jellyfish from outerspace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozcharlie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Eagle rays have been around up north, but hit or miss. Photo of 7 below was actually the smaller group we saw first dive on Monday (other group was strung out and deeper right at the horizon created by the wall, couldn't even get the camera to really focus). Sorry group pictures not better, 80-90 ft depth, cloudy day, and so-so viz. Probably could have dealt with depth and viz, but clouds just made it rough. Below was best I could do even in retrospect (I called a photography expert and asked, he basically said my settings were all about right given situation). Went back to exact same site where we saw 20+ total on first dive an hour and 15 minutes later for short second dive on Nitrox. We got blanked--zero rays. Hence the hit or miss.

Last few pics are actually the spotwing comb jelly we have had lately. Kind of know where James Cameron got his ideas for the aliens in Abyss now. Photos were actually taken with strobes firing inward towards jelly between the strobes while snorkeling at noon on a sunny day--was just fooling around to see how they came out. Last two are actually same picture with different exposure amounts.

Camera Sony RX100 VII, Nauticam housing, Dual Sea& Sea YS-D3 strobes.

Norte coming in right now I believe--lighting around. Going to be pretty cool for Cozumel next couple of days and port will likely be closed based on wind forecasts.

DSC04513-3.jpg
DSC04516-3.jpg
DSC04312-4.jpg
DSC04414-2.jpg
DSC04416-2.jpg
DSC04416-3.jpg

We were lucky to see these rays as well on our last visit...

thanks for sharing these gorgeous pictures!

Been here since Sat and only saw 3 eagle rays over the 10 dives. Hoping tomorrow is better. Only 1 shark, too, and on our safety stop, 40' over him/her.

Been here since Sat and only saw 3 eagle rays over the 10 dives. Hoping tomorrow is better. Only 1 shark, too, and on our safety stop, 40' over him/her.

Sorry about that. Definitely plenty of rays around. Divemaster friend had close encounter with one yesterday on top of Palancar Gardens. He was trying to show someone a nudibranch or something and eagle ray came super close. Evidently startled him quite a bit.

Good luck with tomorrow. Forecast not quite as bad as it was but still not great. Winds from NW at 10 knots by 10 am. Will keep fingers crossed for you.

looking pretty windy from the NNW right now.....

Starting to see a parade of dive boats go by our condo (South of town a few miles), though, so looks like we are on for today...... fingers crossed. A few whitecaps out there.

thanks for the material. i can go back to dreaming now

Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy seeing your pics. Must be awesome to see a group of spotted eagle rays. I saw 2 together one time.

Back
Top Bottom